- Where can I find my participants?
- Keep the Participants panel open at all times
- Mute participants
- Manage raised hands
- Notification settings
- Participant permissions
- Promote participants
- What can the different roles do?
- Remove participants
- Session attendance report
Where can I find my participants?
Find and manage participants from the Participants panel. Open the Collaborate panel and select Participants.
Not sure where to find the Collaborate panel? Jump to Find Your Way Around.
At-a-glance you see:
- The roles of each participant. We've grouped participants by roles to make it easier to see who can do what in your sessions.
- Participants with their hand raised. Those with their hand raised appear at the top of their role list.
- Participants with their status set to away.
- Participants with their microphone turned on.
Browse through the list of participants or open More options at the top of the panel and select Search.
If you are using keyboard navigation, press Tab from the top of the panel to find "Access list of participants". "Access list of participants" is not visible unless the focus is on it. Press Spacebar to activate it. You can now use Tab to move through the Moderator controls for each participant.
Keep the Participants panel open at all times
You can leave the Participants panel open all the time. Chat with others and see everyone in the session at the same time. You can tell who is away, has their microphone on or is having network connection trouble. All while chatting and participating in the session.
You need to detach the Participants panel to keep it open. There are two ways to do this:
- Open the Collaborate panel. Drag-and-drop the Participants icon to the main stage.
- Open the Collaborate panel and select Participants. Select More options at the top of the panel. Select Detach Panel.
The main stage adjusts so you can still see everything on it. Any video, content, whiteboard and application shared are moved to the left to make room for the panel.
Close the panel any time. Select More options at the top of the panel. Select Merge Panel.
Moderators can mute individual participants or everyone in a session. This includes participants using Bb Student.
- Mute individual participants: From the Participants panel, point to a participant with their audio on. Select Moderator controls. Select Mute.
- Mute all participants: Select More options at the top of the Participants panel. Select Mute All.
Muted participants see a notification telling them that the moderator has muted their microphone.
Note: Participants can turn their microphone back on after being muted.
Participants can raise their hands any time during your session. They do this to get your attention or ask a question. You can choose to call on them now or close the notification and call on them later.
An image of a hand appears beside participants with their hand raised. Those participants are also brought to the top of their role list in the Participants panel so they aren't forgotten and are easily found.
Select Lower hand in the notification to remove raised hands. Close the notification to leave the hand raised and come back to later.
You can also lower hands from the Participants panel. Point to the participant with their hand raised and select Moderator controls. Select Lower hand.
By default you are notified when someone raises their hand. If you do not see hand raise notifications when participants raise their hands, check your Notification Settings in My Settings.
Do you want to be notified when someone joins or leaves a session? How about when participants raise their hands or type in the chat window? Do you prefer an audio or visual notification?
Open the Collaborate panel and select My Settings. Select Notifications Settings.
Not sure where the Collaborate panel is? Jump to Find Your Way Around.
By default all of the settings are turned on. These settings only turn on/off the notification banners and sounds.
If you turn these notifications off, you still see:
- A joining status for the participant in the Participants panel.
- The number of new messages posted on the chat icon.
- Hands raised in the Participants panel.
- The red light over the recording icon when you are recording.
These are personal settings. Everyone sets their own notifications. Only moderators and presenters can set notifications for when someone raises their hand.
Do you want to mute everyone with the role participant while a guest speaker is presenting? Can participants use the whiteboard?
Decide who can do what in Session Settings any time before or during a session. Open the Collaborate panel and select My Settings. Select Session Settings.
Not sure where the Collaborate panel is? Jump to Find Your Way Around.
By default anyone with a participant role is allowed to show their profile picture, share their audio and video, post chat messages, and draw on the whiteboard and shared files.
Are you sharing moderator or presenter roles with someone in your presentation? You can promote participants to other roles anytime.
Point to a participant in the Participants panel and select Moderator controls. Select the role you want to make that participant.
Promote all participants
You can also have all participants join as presenters or moderators. From the list of Sessions, find a session. Select Session options and Edit settings. Select Presenter or Moderator in the Guest Role menu.
This is only available to users with moderator access to the Scheduler, use Collaborate in an LTI compatible LMS, or use Blackboard Collaborate Ultra in their Blackboard Learn course at this time. Not sure which one you use? Jump to Schedule Sessions.
Users can be moderators, presenters, participants, and captioners in the Ultra experience.
- Moderator: Moderators have full control over all content being shared. They can make any participant a presenter or a moderator. Moderators see hand raise notifications and can lower hands. They can remove participants from a session, but they cannot remove other moderators. Moderators can set the session settings, including deciding what participants can and can't do.
- Presenter: The presenter role is designed to allow students to present without giving them full moderator privileges. Presenters can upload, share, edit, and stop sharing content. They can also see hand raise notifications and can lower hands.
- Participant: Participants can enable and disable notifications, such as when participants enter and leave a session or when someone has posted something to the chat. Moderators decide if participants share audio and video, chat, and draw on the whiteboard or shared files.
- Captioner: The captioner role is designed to provide an accessible learning experience for students who are deaf or hard of hearing, as well as for students whose native language is different from the moderator's. A participant is assigned this role by a moderator. The captioner is given an area to type what is being said. Other participants can view what the captioner is typing in real time. You can have multiple captioners for multiple languages.
Remove a participant any time you need.
Point to a participant in the Participants panel and select Moderator controls. Select Remove from session.
Can a participant rejoin?
Yes. Participants are notified about the disconnection, and they are allowed to reconnect.
The Session attendance report tells you an overview of when participants joined and left your sessions. It also gives you an idea of how long participants were present in the session on average.
If you have used a session more than once, there is a report for each time it was used.
Select View report to see the full report. See when each participant joined and left the session. With this knowledge, check in with individual participants to see if they were having any technical issues or need a quick review of what was presented and discussed.
Where to I find session reports?
View reports from the list of sessions in your Blackboard Collaborate tool.
- Find the session you want to see a report on, and select the Sessions options menu.
- Select View reports.
If you don't see View reports, it is not available on your system.
Create a printable version of the full report to print.
- Find the session you want the report of and select View reports.
- Find the report you want to print and select View report.
- Select Printable.
- Print the page.
The printable version of the report includes all participants for the date range selected. If you filter your report by user and select Printable, the printable version shows all users. Not just the one searched for.
Filter your report list by date range and participant.
- By date range: From the main Reports page, select Show Reports In A Range from the Show Reports menu.
- By participant: From the full report page, select Search. Type the name of the participant you are looking for.
What is the Session ID for?
The Session ID in the report is a unique session identifier. It includes information Blackboard support can use to troubleshoot issues with the session.
- Submit a case on Behind the Blackboard (available in English only)
- Include the session identifier in the Description field of the case.