Basic LTI is a open standard for linking a tool provider (example - Blackboard Collaborate) to a tool consumer (example - D2L or Sakai). Any LMS that supports bLTI can connect to a tool provider that supports the bLTI standard. For more information on Basic LTI please visit the IMS Global Learning Consortium website.
Why would we want to use it?
- Allows common tools to be used across multiple LMS systems.
- Increases options for students and instructors when selecting learning applications.
- Reduces support costs, by providing a clearly defined interface between the LMS and the tool.
- Requires no software installs or upgrades.
- Enables software as a service (SaaS).
- Enables mash-ups of applications within the LMS or portal.
- Spurs innovation that improves education.