Although the score and standard charts are the most comprehensive of the six charts, the attendance, seating, student and assignment charts share many of its tools and offer a variety of new ones to help you manage your student data. This section describes the unique features of these charts.
The Attendance Chart
The attendance chart allows you to record attendance data for a single term.
How to Use the Attendance Chart
- Attendance and calendar options must be set before using the attendance chart. Color options may also be set for your attendance categories.
- Each column of the chart represents a single date in the calendar for the class. Column numbers indicate the day numbers into the term. No-school days are grayed and cannot be selected.
- To filter the dates displayed in the chart, use the menu to the left of the first column number. You can choose between showing all days, the current day, current week, current month or a selected range of dates. If the current day, week or month is selected, the actual dates will automatically change at the right times.
- To quickly hide all dates but one, click on the date. When only one date is visible, use the horizontal scroll bar to scroll through all dates while keeping only a single date visible at a time. To return to the normal view, click the date again.
- To resize the space for the date titles, press and drag the thick, horizontal line below the titles up or down.
- Be sure to display the attendance codes on the tool bar. This lets you know what marks can be typed and allows you to enter marks by clicking. To display these codes, press on the small triangle to the left of the class menu.
Click on the triangle (circled above) to show the row of attendance marks.
- To add a note to an attendance mark, double-click on a cell to open the student note view of the Summaries window. You may find it helpful to press on the Clipboard tool in this window and choose Attendance Note ([Date: MO/DY/YEAR]). This text will be pasted into the text field with the actual date.
- Attendance can be exported over you school’s network.
- To print the attendance chart, choose Print from the File menu. Under the Chart tab, select and print the Attendance Chart report.
The Seating Chart
You can set up a seating chart to match your classroom, furniture included. Once set up, attendance marks and assignment scores can be entered directly into the seats.
How to Set Up a Seating Chart
- To set the shape, size, name format and attendance/assignment format of all seats in a class, use the Seat options in the Class Options window.
- The first time the seating chart is viewed for a class, Easy Grade Pro places the first 128 students into seats using a built-in arrangement.
- To move any seat, press and drag it to the desired location. To move a group of seats, first select the seats by clicking on each while holding down the shift key or drag a rectangle that encloses or touches the seats. To move the group, press on one and drag. To deselect all selected seats, click on any empty place.
- To swap two students, drag the first seat on top of the other. If one seat is rotated and the other is not, be sure to drag the upper-left corner of the first seat to the upper-left corner of the second. Swapping also works on groups of seats.
- To set the color, rotation or locked status of an individual seat, double-click on the seat. A seat that is locked cannot be moved or sorted.
- To sort your students into the seats, choose Sort Seats from the View menu and select one of the patterns. To randomize your students, click the Sort tool or choose Randomly from the View menu.
- To add furniture, choose Add Furniture from the Tool menu or click the Add Furniture tool . If this tool is not visible, press on any tool or empty tool location and hold the mouse down for at least a second. From the menu that pops up, choose the tool.
- To change the size of a piece of furniture, drag the small rectangle in the lower corner. To set the format, rotation or name, double-click on the item. The Furniture Options window will open.
- Furniture can be copied and pasted using Copy and Paste in the Edit menu. To delete an item, select it and click the Delete tool or press the delete key.
- The structure of a seating chart and its furniture can be copied to and from other classes. Choose Copy Seats from the Tool menu and follow the prompts. When furniture is copied from one class to another, it always replaces any furniture that the class may already have.
- To print the seating chart, choose Print from the File menu. Under the Chart tab, select and print the Seating Chart report.
How to Take Attendance Using the Seating Chart
- Attendance and calendar options must be set before using the attendance chart.
- The current date, if it is within the calendar for the class, will be displayed in the lower-left corner of the window. Use the ‘+’ and ‘-’ buttons to switch to other dates. If the date is not the current date, it will be displayed in red.
- To record attendance, press on the menu in the seat and select a mark, or select one or more seats and click on an attendance code on the tool bar.
- Attendance can be exported over your school’s network.
How to Enter Assignment Scores Using the Seating Chart
- Seat options must be set to allow the entry of assignment scores.
- To select an assignment for scoring, press on the menu at the bottom of the seating chart. Use the ‘+’ and ‘-’ buttons to switch to other assignments.
- To enter a score, first click on the score cell in the seat. Enter the score by typing or grade-clicking.
- Use the arrow keys to move to other seats.
- Use the Continuous Search Mode of the Find tool to instantly jump to the right student.
- To enter a score note, double-click on the score cell. To enter a footnote, right-click (Windows) or ctrl-click (Macintosh) on the seat.
The Student and Assignment Charts
The student and assignment charts have a lot in common with the Records window: both display virtually the same information. While the Records window displays one record at a time, the charts can display all records together making them easier to view and manipulate. The charts also offer a variety of tools not available in the Records window such as fill down, copy, paste, find and filters.
How to Use the Student and Assignment Charts
- The columns in these charts correspond to the fields in the Records window.
- Data can be entered into any cell except in the columns with names and IDs. Many of the fields bring up menus when selected.
- To change the order of the columns, press on a column’s title and drag the column left or right to the desired location.
- To change the width of a column, move the cursor until it is over the vertical line to the right of a column title. Press on the line and drag the line to the desired location.
- To view the record for any row, double-click on the row.
- To rename any of the twelve custom field columns in the student chart, double-click on the row and edit the Custom Labels.
- As with the score chart, you can use filters, dragging of rows, find, fill down, and cut, copy and paste on rows and columns.
- The last six columns of the student chart can be used to enter comment numbers. Although it is easier to enter student comments in the Summaries window, the student chart can be used to view and edit groups of comments.