- How to Start a New Term for a Class
- How to Combine Terms (Class Options: Term)
If you teach a class that continues with the same students from one term to the next, then this section is for you. It explains the simple process of starting a new term for an existing class in your gradebook. It also explains the more complex process of combining student grades and attendance data from classes in different terms to produce multi-term totals.
How to Start a New Term for a Class
Although you can start a new term at any time, we recommend that you wait until the end of a term to do so. This will help minimize the number of changes that may need to be made to your roster, seating chart and options in the new term.
- Switch to the class.
- From the Tool menu, choose Term Tools->Start New Term. Easy Grade Pro will automatically put a check or x for the appropriate term in the Records window for the class. It will then switch to the new term and copy the students to it.
- To set the calendar or edit other class options, click the View/Edit Class Options button in the window that automatically appears.
How to Edit the Term Label
- Choose Records from the Chart menu or click the Records tool .
- Select the Classes tab.
- Edit the name of the term. This change applies to all classes in a gradebook.
How to Add the Prior Term and Next Term Tools to the Toolbar
These tools can make it easier to switch back and forth between terms.
- Press on any tool or empty tool location and hold the mouse down for at least a second. From the menu that pops up, choose the Prior Term tool .
- Repeat the process to add the Next Term tool .
- To relocate any tool, press and drag (quickly) the tool to the desired location.
How to Combine Terms (Class Options: Term)
At any time, you can combine your students’ grade and attendance data from two or more terms to produce multi-term totals. Once combined, you can view summaries and print reports that include the totals and individual term data.
- Switch to a class in your current term.
- Choose Term Tools->Combine Terms from the Tool menu. The Term view of the Class Options window will open (shown above).
- You must decide to combine your term data using weights or points. Select weights if you want each term to have a set value. Don’t use this method unless you are at or near the end of the current term because temporary grade distortions can occur when the current term has only a few assignments. Select points if you want the terms to be combined by summing all the points that a student has earned. This option is not available if any of the classes being combined uses category weighting.
- Choose to match the students across classes by ID or name. Each student’s ID number or name must be completely identical in all terms.
- Carefully select the prior-term classes by pressing on one or more menus below the name of the current class. When selecting classes, you must choose between combining the term or the overall grade. In most cases, you should choose Term. However, if one of the classes you are combining has term options set in it, you may want to choose Overall instead.
Here is an example to explain the difference between Term and Overall. Let’s say your gradebook has five terms as follows: Quarter 1, Quarter 2, Quarter 3, Quarter 4 and Year. In the Quarter 2 class, you combine Term grades from Quarters 1 and 2. In the Quarter 4 class, you combine Term grades from Quarters 3 and 4. In the Year class, you could combine Term grades from Quarters 1, 2, 3 and 4 but you could, instead, combine Overall grades from Quarters 2 and 4.
- If you have selected Combine grades using weights, enter the term weights in the Weights column. They must sum to 100%.
- Click Done. Easy Grade Pro will go to each of the prior-term classes and try to match the students. Whenever a match is found, the student’s points, grade and attendance totals for that term are copied to and combined with the current class. A window will appear listing any students that could not be found in prior terms.
Questions about Combining Terms
What do I do when a student didn’t match when combining terms but should have?
In most cases, the problem occurs because the student’s name or ID number in the prior-term class is different. Correct this and return to the current class; from the current-term class, choose Term Tools->Recombine Terms from the Tool menu. Easy Grade Pro will start the process over and, again, let you know who hasn’t matched.
How often do I need to combine terms? How do I recombine terms?
Generally, you will combine terms only once for a class. However, if you make any changes to grades or attendance data in any of the prior term classes, you should recombine the terms to copy the updated data into your current term. To recombine the data, choose Term Tools->Recombine Terms from the Tool menu.
How do I un-combine terms?
You may occasionally want to combine terms just long enough to print certain reports. To later un-combine terms, choose Term Tools->Combine Terms from the Tools menu. Click the Un-combine Terms button. When you exit from this window, your class will be un-combined.
How is a class changed by using combine term options?
After combining, the Overall grades and attendance totals found in charts, in summaries and in reports reflect all combined terms. Many reports and summaries will display multi-term data automatically or as an option. In the score and attendance charts, special columns can be added to display data from individual terms.