The information included in this topic show examples of a homepage design for a school, but the steps are the same for district super users who want to make their district homepage. District super users should review the Create District-Wide Designs for Schools topic to learn about globally creating homepages for all the schools in their district.
Many districts and schools want their homepage to have a different look than the rest of their website. The changes you make for your homepage will be displayed on that page only and not on any other page. Creating a homepage design will not affect the settings you added to the classes, groups, folder, and document designs. Your district and school can personalize the homepage without concerns of how your class, group, folder, or document pages will be affected, since they will not be affected at all. To create a different looking homepage, it is a best practice to begin your design with the All Pages default design, and then create a homepage design with the unique home page elements.
If you want to change the homepage of a specific class or group, such as the opening page to your Athletic Department or Media Center group page, complete the steps in this section, except you would begin by opening that specific group page and setting changes in the Current Page tab.
How to Create a Homepage Design
- From the Tools menu on your school or district homepage, select Manage Design.
The school name should be at the top of the Manage Design page above the three tabs.
- Click the Default Designs tab.
If your All Pages design is live, you can also edit the homepage directly from the homepage by clicking the Edit This Page button from the Edline menu bar, and then click the Site Designer icon from the toolbar. This method is best when you want to make minor enhancements to the homepage. For more detailed changes, continue with the next step.
- In the Default Designs tab, select Include during Edit/Preview for the All Pages design.
This option will allow you to create your new homepage in context of all the shared settings configured in the All Pages design, which will flow into your homepage. Click Apply Checks Above to include the properties of the All Pages design to your homepage.
- Click the New button to create a new design.
- Type the name for the design in the Name for new design box.
Name the design in such a way that it describes what the design is for — such as School Homepage, Design 1 for Homepage, or Holiday Design for Homepage.
Leave the Base on template box blank. (If the design will be based on an existing template already in your school or district, see the Deploy District Templates to Create School Designs topic for information.)
- Click OK.
You will see a dialog prompting where you want the design to be used.
- For the homepage design, make sure the name of your school is checked. Click OK.
The new design will be listed in the Default Designs tab.
- Click OK.
- From the Manage Design page, select the homepage design you created, and click Edit to open Site Designer.
- Edit the design in Site Designer.
To learn more, see Set Design Properties. You can change column layouts, column widths, add special boxes, move boxes, and delete any Edline default boxes that you do not want on the homepage.
- After you set the homepage design properties and you want to make the these properties live to the public, select the design from the Current Page tab of the Manage Design page and click Set as Active Design.