By setting the policies at the different group levels, the super user can determine which types of users are allowed to post documents, determine if schools can have discussions and blogs enabled, determine if super users can enable course submissions for students of other schools, and determine if schools and groups (such as classes) can update the design of their Edline website.
How to Set School Level Policies
At the school, this setting can only be completed by a district super user or a school super user signed into the school level Edline website.
- From the homepage menu bar on the district or school website, select Tools, and then select Manage School to access the ModifySchool page.
- From the School Management area, click School Policies to access the School Policies page.
- Determine which types of users can add documents to the website. Select from any of the following types of users — Students, Parents, Teachers, Administrators, Staff, and Alumni.
You may not want to set the document creation policy at a particular user-type level. Setting this policy can result in numerous users entering the same information, or information that needs to be available to users may not appear until it is actually approved, causing a delay. Blackboard recommends that you select a particular user to be a document manager as set through the user’s Member Permissions page. To learn more see Set Edline Group Permissions.
- Set any of the following policies to Yes to turn the feature on, or No to turn the feature off:
- For GradeQuick Districts/Schools Only — Determine whether or not teachers will be able to access GradeQuick Web at your school in the Enable GradeQuick Web for teachers in your schools box. Select Yes to allow the teachers access to GradeQuick Web. Select No to block teachers from accessing GradeQuick Web.
- For GradeQuick Districts/Schools Only — Determine whether or not teachers will be able to access their class gradebook folder in the Allow teachers to access the GradeQuick Web *Gradebooks Folders in their classes box. Select Yes to allow teachers access to the folder. Select No to block the teachers from accessing the folder.
- District Setting Only/Read-Only for Schools — Select the type of manager that change period information in the Who is allowed to change Scheduling Period Info (like semester info and the currently active period) for this school box. Select District Superusers and District Uploaders Only to have the change handled by the district. Select School Managers and Uploaders or higher to have school and district managers to update the period information.
- Determine whether or not to display inactive classes in the Display Inactive Classes in the My Classes Box in your school field. Select Yes to view the inactive classes. Select No to hide the inactive classes.
- For GradeQuick Districts/Schools Only — Determine whether or not inactive classes will be available in GradeQuick Web and reports in the Include Inactive Classes in GradeQuick Web and SiteReporter in your school box. Select Yes to view inactive classes in GradeQuick Web and SiteReporter. Select No to hide inactive classes in GradeQuick Web and SiteReporter.
- Determine whether or not the schools in the district will host discussions, blogs, and document comments in the Allow discussions and document commenting in your district box. Select Yes to allow the district and schools within the district to add discussions and blogs to their Edline website. Select No to not include discussions and blogs in your district.
- Determine whether or not schools can change their Edline website design in the Allow schools to manage design for their pages box. Select Yes to allow the schools to update their website design. Select No to not allow schools to update the school website design.
- Determine whether or not super users of class, sports, activities, and other school groups can change their Edline website design in the Allow classes and other groups to manage design of their homepage box. Select Yes to allow the teachers, coaches, and other super users to update their webpage design. Select No to not allow the group super users to make changes to the group (class, sport, activity) webpage design.
- Determine whether or not you want to include the social media enhancements in the Enable social media in your school box. Select Yes to allow anyone to share your school web pages with the social media outlets such as Google +, Facebook, or Twitter. Select No to remove the Share This Page icon from your menu bar. Guests, students, and teachers will not be able to share a web page in your school.
If your school blocks any of these social media websites, this feature will not be available even if you set this field to Yes.
- Determine whether or not you want to link Teachers, Administrators, and other Staff at your schools to the district in the Auto-Associate the following user types to the district box. This feature allows district super users to manage school user accounts at the district level without first needing to access the school’s website. The teachers and other staff members will benefit by having district calendar events in their Combined Calendar feature, and having new district information appear in their Activity Feeds feature. The school users will also be able to more easily move from the school’s website to the district’s website and back again. Check the types of users to have automatically linked to the district. To remove the auto association of a particular user type, clear the option. To learn more, see How to Set Up District Association.
To manually update existing users, see How to Manually Associate Users to the District.
- If you want to receive the status of school uploads to the Edline system (uploads of students, teachers, classes, and other reports), type your email address in the Upload Results Email Addresses box.
- Set any of the following options in the Features area to On to turn the feature on, or Off to turn the feature off.
- Determine whether or not to allow members of your district/school to send responses for forms, surveys, and interactive assignments in the Enable form response email notification box. To allow members (teachers and other district/school staff) to set up form response emails, click On. To not allow district/school staff to setup response emails, click Off.
- Determine whether or not to include a Staff Directory under the Tools menu in the Enable Staff Directory box. To allow users that have signed into Edline (such as teachers, other staff members, students, and parents), click On for the feature. Turn this feature Off if you do not want to include a staff directory.
- Determine whether or not guests (not signed into Edline) will also have access to the Staff Directory in the Allow Guests to see the Staff Directory box. To allow guests (not signed into Edline) to also have access to the Staff Directory, click the On option. To block this option for quests, click Off.
- Determine whether or not to obfuscate the email address for guests that visit the Staff Directory page in the Obfuscate Email Addresses on Profile/Staff Directory box. Select On (the default) to obscure your staff’s email addresses for viewers not logged into your website. This features spells out the at sign @ in the email to AT, and the period (.) to DOT. (Obfuscation helps deter spam from being sent to your email.) Select Off in the Obfuscate Email Addresses on Profile/Staff Directory box to turn off the obfuscation. The email address for the staff will be a standard link to a new email message.
- Determine whether or not students can upload profile pictures to your school website in the Enable students to upload a profile picture and show in blogs and discussions box. Select On to allow your students to upload a profile picture to be used in your school’s website. The picture would be viewable only to users logged into the website — not guests. Select Off (the default) in the Enable students to upload a profile picture and show in blogs and discussions box to block students from adding a picture to the website.
- Determine whether or not you want to include the accessibility enhancements in the Enable a link in the toolbar to an accessible webpage containing important website links box. Select On to add the Accessible Site Navigation page and icon to your website. This feature creates a screen-reader friendly navigation for those with disabilities. Select Off to remove the accessibility features from your website.
- Click Update to save the district’s policy settings.