Before your district/school can use the Blackboard Open Content (formerly xpLor) feature, the district super user must set up some basic configurations for the district/school.
You do not have to change all of the settings in Blackboard Open Content. Most of the settings will already be configured with system defaults.
How to Configure Blackboard Open Content for Your District/School
- From the Edline menu on the district website, select Tools and then Blackboard Open Content Admin to access the System Settings.
- Update any of the General Settings:
- Update the name of your school in the Institution Name box.
- Keep the Allow other institutions to find this institution when sharing option selected, if you want your school to be accessible by teachers from other schools.
- Review the Copyright Settings.
Many schools leave the system defaults. To update any of the settings, review the Blackboard Open Content online help for full definitions.
- Review the Sharing Settings.
Many schools leave the system defaults. You can remove the option to allow your teachers to use content from other schools, and you can set your school’s content so that it is only available to your own school and not any other institution. To update any of the settings, review the Blackboard Open Content online help for full definitions.
- Review the Channel Settings.
Many schools leave the system defaults. You can remove the ability to join or create channels from your school. To update any of the settings, review the Blackboard Open Content online help for full definitions.
- Select the Standard Settings for your school.
Clear the Available box for any standard you do not want available for your school. Review the Blackboard Open Content online help for full details.
- Click Apply when finished.
What about User Management, Institution Reports, and External Tools?
You are not required to make any changes in the remaining tabs of the Blackboard Open Content Settings feature. For full information about the fields available in these tabs, see the Blackboard Open Content online help.
- The User Management tab displays the names of the users that have access to Blackboard Open Content .
- The Institution Reports tab displays the number of resources, collections, channels created by your school and by each individual user.
- The External Tools tab allows your school to configure another third-party application with Blackboard Open Content .
By clicking the Add a New Tool link, the External Tool Settings dialog appears where you can configure the third-party tool (using LTI integration only).