Many districts and schools use Britannica School from Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc. as an online resource tool for students and staff, including teachers. If your district uses Britannica School, you can now create a single sign-on to access Britannica School through your Edline website. By setting up the single sign-on connection, administrators, teachers, other school staff, and students will be able to access Britannica School directly through the Edline website without having to constantly re-enter their login credentials while moving between the two applications.
Before teachers, students, super users, and other staff members of your school website can access Britannica School through the Edline website, the district Hall Pass feature must first be setup by the district super user. For any third-party tool to be available to your end-users through the My Hall Pass feature, it must first be enabled at the district-level.
How to Create a Connection to Britannica School
- Login as the district super user in at the district website in Edline.
- Select District Hall Pass from the Tools menu.
- From the Teaching/Learning tab, click on the Britannica product.
- Click Activate.
- Type the Login URL information.
- Type the Shared Username used by your district to allow users access to Britannica School.
- Type the Shared Password used by your district to allow users access to Britannica School.
- Click Save to save the credentials.
- Click Done when finished.
- Log out of Edline and then sign back in for changes to take effect.
Once you activate the website, your school users (administrators, teachers, students, or other school staff) will be able to use the My Hall Pass option available in the My Edline menu.
How to Create a Link to Britannica School
To create an automatic sign-on to Britannica School from a school’s homepage in Edline, you will need to setup a link. District super users can create the link from the Links box on the district homepage and multi-post the link to the specific schools.
- On the district homepage, hover over the Links box click the Add Item icon.
If you do not have the Links box available on the homepage, click the View Page As icon from your toolbar to open the Resource List page. Select Link from the drop-down and click the Add button.
- Type Britannica as the Title and click Create Now.
- In the Link URL box, type the tag for the Britannica School application, including the brackets and lowercase letters:
- Select View Link In a New Window When Clicked.
- In the Multiple Posting area, add the schools that will have the link.
- Click Save and Return.
The Links box will contain your new Britannica School link on all the selected school websites.