For any districts or schools using Blackboard Connect 5 as their notification system for emergency and community communications, the integration between Connect 5 and Edline will allow you to transfer the information you need without having to sign-on to separate programs. You can also choose to send all staff member emails and phone numbers available in Edline to Connect 5 on a nightly basis using a scheduled automated data transfer. Plus, if you prefer instead to enable the Connect Access Portal for parents, the phone and text fields in Edline will no longer be available to parents to keep the information solely in Connect 5.
Before school administrators can access Blackboard Connect 5 through the Edline website, the district Hall Pass feature must first be setup by the district super user. For any third-party tool to be available to your end-users through the My Hall Pass feature, it must first be enabled at the district-level.
Before You Start
- To integrate Edline and Connect 5 you must have an account set up with Connect 5. If you do not have an account, contact Connect 5 support at email@example.com.
- If you want to transfer data from Edline to Connect 5 via an automated and scheduled batch run on a nightly basis, you will need to contact Connect 5 support.
- While you can complete the instructions in this topic to create a single sign-on from Edline to Connect 5, you will need your initial Connect 5 credentials (user name and password) created first.
See the Blackboard Connect FAQ for more information – https://www.blackboardconnect.com/sms.
How to Create a Hall Pass Connection to Blackboard Connect 5
- Login as a district super user in the Edline district website.
- Select District Hall Pass from the Tools menu.
- From the District Tools tab, click Blackboard Connect.
- Click Activate.
- Click Save.
- Click Done when finished.
After you activate the website, your school users (administrators) will be able to use the My Hall Pass option available in the My Edline menu.
How to Create a Link to Connect 5
To create an automatic sign-on to Connect 5 from a school’s homepage in Edline, you will need to setup a link after setting up the District Hall Pass. District super users can create the link from the Links box on the district homepage and multi-post the link to the specific schools.
- On the homepage, hover over the Links section click the Add Item icon.
If you do not have the Links section available on the homepage, click the View Page As icon from your toolbar to open the Resource List page. Select Link from the drop-down and click the Add button.
- Type Blackboard Connect as the Title and click Create Now.
- In the Link URL box, type the tag for the Blackboard Connect server including the brackets:
- Click Save and Return.
The Links section will contain your new Blackboard Connect link.