News is an important section of the school website that typically appears on any webpage. The permission to add news is enabled for all school personnel who are super users of a webpage, such as teachers for their class pages.
- District news can include items such as newly elected district personnel or district performance on state tests (added at the district level by the district super user).
- School news can include items such as announcements about new staff or school team victories (added at the school level by the school super user).
- Class news can include items such as congratulations to a class member for winning a competition, request for volunteers for a class picnic, or other class related topics you want to share with your students (added at the class page by the teacher).
- Sport news can include articles about the team, and any championship victories (added at the sport page by the coach).
You can also use the Quick Add feature to quickly add content by typing directly on your webpage
Watch a Tutorial
- Open the webpage where you want to create a news item.
- From the Edline menu bar, click Edit This Page to access the edit mode.
- Hover over the News box, and click the Add an item to this box icon to access the News Item Title box.
- Type the name of the news event in the News Item Title box.
- Click Create Now to access the Document page.
- Click in the text box to access the Formatting toolbar and type your information.
Type or paste your text, and use the Formatting toolbar to change font styles, paragraph centering, or bullets.
You can also spell check the text and add pictures, videos, and tables to the news item.
When you type the text, the first 150 characters will be used as an automatic document summary viewable to other users. You can overwrite the summary by clicking the Summary Info option in the menu bar.
- Click the Save button to save the text.
The icons available on the Edit Mode toolbar provide options where you can complete the following:
- To add a summary to a news item to appear as a description on the home page or when a user points to the title, click Summary Info.
- To include a thumbnail image to go with the news topic, click the Thumbnail icon.
- To limit the type of users that can view the news item or to add start and stop dates for the visibility of the item, click Visibility.
- To add or update the date attached to the news item, click Dates.
- To select multiple classes or groups to post the news item to (especially helpful for teachers that instruct multiple classes on the same subject), click Multipost.
- To update the web address for the news item, click URL.
- To add a summary for the news item to appear on the homepage, complete the following steps:
- Click the Summary Info menu from the Edit Mode toolbar. The Create/Modify Document page appears.
- Type a summary of the news item to show on the page in the Document Summary box.
- Type or select the date for the news item in the Calendar Date box if you want the news item to also appear in the calendar.
To attach an existing document to a news item (such as a PDF file), expand the Add Item area, and click Import an Existing File to Browse for and Import the file to the news item.
- Click Save and Return when finished.
- Click Done on the Document page to save all changes.