You can add a new discussion to the Edline website. The permission to add discussions is usually available to all school personnel who are the super user of a webpage. Here are some examples:
- District discussions can include topics such as upcoming district votes and political issues (added at the district level by the district super user).
- School discussions can include topics such as new school changes, cafeteria offerings, and other school-wide topics (added at the school level by the school super user).
- Class discussions can include any topics in your subject, or ideas on field trips (added at the class page by the teacher).
- Sport discussions can include opinions on rivalries or schedules (added at the sport page by the coach).
You can determine if posts to discussion links will contain the name of the user entering the comment, and whether or not you want to approve the comment before it is posted to your website. Only users logged into Edline will be able to enter comments, even if the comments are anonymous.
Watch a Tutorial
- Open the webpage or folder you created where you want to add a discussion.
There are sections on your website where it is not appropriate to add discussions, so there will not be an option for the News, Links, or Calendar sections, nor the Tests or Assignments folders. Also, "discussion boxes" are not available to be added to the design of the web page. Attachments or handouts cannot be added to discussions.
- From the Edline menu bar, click Edit This Page to access the edit mode.
- Hover over the section where you want to add the discussion (usually the Contents section), and click the Add an item to this box icon to access the Add Item Type pallet.
- Select Discussion to access the Create Discussion page.
- Type the name of the discussion in the Discussion Title box. This title will appear on the website.
- Type a brief summary for the discussion in the Discussion Summary box.
- Type or select the date for the discussion in the Calendar Date box.
- To add details about the discussion, such as presenting the issue to be discussed, asking questions about the topic, or attaching a picture for the discussion, complete the following steps:
- From the Modify Discussion page, type and format the text for the discussion in the Enter Text By Hand box of the Add Contents section.
- To add an image to the discussion, click Browse in the Image box.
It is highly recommended that images be no larger than 2 MB, so that your users can download them quickly when they access the discussion.
- To configure anonymity and approval of discussion comments, select one of the following anonymous settings from the Comment Type section:
- Select Do not allow Anonymous Comments (names always displayed) to include the name of the user entering a comment.
- Select Allow Anonymous Comments (at the commenter’s choice) to allow the users to determine whether or not their names will be included.
- Select Force all Comments to be Anonymous to ensure the comments are always listed as anonymous.
- Select Require approval of comments before making visible to others to require the manager of the group (school, class, sport, activity) to approve all comments before they are posted.
Clear Require approval of comments before making visible to others to allow all comments to be visible after the user saves the comment.
- Click Save and Return to add the discussion.
- Click Done to exit the edit mode.