The Course Request feature is an Edline add-on feature that may not be available for use with all Student Information Systems (SIS). Your district or school’s IT representative will need to contact Edline support to enable this feature.
If your school has the Edline course request feature enabled, students will be able to request courses for future terms through Edline. The Course Request feature will only be available to specific users based on their permissions:
- The super user must first upload the course catalog from the Student Information System (SIS) to the Edline database, and then set when students can submit their course requests. The super user may then modify the permissions of counselors or teachers to allow them to recommend courses to their students or request courses for their students.
- School personnel with proper permissions, such as teachers, school administrators, and counselors, may be able to recommend or request specific courses for students. The school will determine whether or not a student can add or drop a requested course.
- Students can use the Course Request feature to select next semester’s classes.
- Parents will not be able to use the Course Request feature to select classes, but can view the list of courses requested by their children and the school administrators.
What is the Difference between a Course Recommendation and a Course Request?
A course recommendation is just that — a recommendation made to the student by a school staff member, usually their current teacher. Posting recommendations to the student’s Course Request page helps students, parents, and advisor/counselors choose the right courses for the next year.
A course request is literally the official list of courses requested for the student’s upcoming schedule. Only if a course recommendation is upgraded to a course request will it be included in the student’s request list that is exported to the Student Information System’s (SIS) scheduling software that your school uses to arrange schedules for next year.
How to Access the Course Request Feature
You can access Course Request from the Tools menu on any web page.
- From the menu bar on your class web page or the school’s home page, select Tools, and then depending on your permissions select Manage Course Requests, Modify Course Requests, or Recommend Courses to access the User List page.
If your district has enabled the registration of students from other “feeder” schools for next year, such as a middle school to high school, requesters and recommenders may see an intermediate screen prior to the User List. Use the drop-down to choose the school user list you need to access and click the Enable or Recommend button.
- Select the student, and then click Edit Course Requests.
The Course Request page appears with the list of available courses, any teacher or counselor recommended courses, and any requests made by the student.
Students can access the Course Request feature through their My Edline menu by selecting Course Requests.