The Content Collection is disabled by default after installation. This gives administrators the opportunity to configure the Content Collection before making it publicly available. When ready, then turn on the Content Collection and appropriate tools and features.
Turn on the Content Collection and its features from:
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Feature and Tool Management > Feature and Tool Availability
Authentication for Web Folders or Shared Locations (also known as WebDAV) occurs in plain text. Blackboard strongly recommends running TLS. If TLS is not used, authentication may be compromised. To learn more, see TLS.
How to Set up the Community Engagement Portal
This section is relevant only if your institution licenses community engagement. Follow these steps to set up the community engagement portal:
Administrator Panel > Communities > Tabs and Modules > Tab Groups > Tab Group: Content Collection > Edit
Administrator Panel > Communities > Tabs and Modules > Modules
- If Portal Direct Entry is enabled, disable the Content Collection for guests and any other roles that should not use it, such as prospective students and observers.
- Select Edit from the contextual menu next to each Content Collection module then set the System Availability of the module.
- Enable the content management portal modules. These include: Bookmarks, Course Content, Institution Content, My Content, Organization Content, Search, and Workflow Activities.
- Select Edit Properties next to each content management module to edit availability.
How to Configure Content Management Settings
The following steps explain which settings must be configured initially:
- Set up virtual hard drives for users. This determines which roles have folders available in the users directory. The quota for these folders is set in Default Folder Settings.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Content Management Settings > Virtual Hard Drive
- Select the availability of virtual hard drives. If virtual hard drives are made available, select for which roles folders are created.
- Set up Default Folder Settings. This determines which folders will be created by default in the Content Collection, such as course folders within the courses directory for users with specific roles. It also allows the administrator to set a quota for user folders.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Content Area Management > Default Folder Creation Settings
- Select Edit next to each top-level folder. Set the permissions and default quotas for each top- level folder. These options for top-level folders may be changed in the future; however, changes will only affect newly created folders.
- Set the Privacy Settings. This determines whether the Content Collection respects the user’s selected privacy settings. Users have the option of choosing whether or not their user information is made public in the User Directory of Blackboard Learn. The Privacy Settings page allows administrators to determine whether these privacy settings chosen by users will be respected during user searches of the Content Collection.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Content Management Settings > Privacy Settings
- Enable the Deletion Audit Trail for the Document Stores. This setting tracks how long files will remain in the system before being permanently deleted. This log is stored in the database; the lifetime can be set fairly high without affecting system performance.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Technical Settings > Document Stores >
Select Edit from the contextual menu and click Deletion Audit Trail Settings
- Turn on the Deletion Audit Trail for each Document Store by entering the number of days for the Delete Audit Trail Lifetime.
- Enable persistent cookies. Using persistent cookies increases the usability of WebDAV. Users will not be asked to authenticate multiple times.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Technical Settings > Authentication Settings
How to Configure Full Text Search
Configure full text search indexing options. This sets the time of day and the duration for the system to rebuild the full text search Indexes. It is recommended that the option be set to a minimum of one hour. Administrators can also choose to use the Immediate Update option, which will update the index as files are added to the system. Exercise caution, because the update process can impact overall system performance.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Technical Settings > Full Text Search Settings
If the system has automated backup, check that the settings on the Full Text Settings page do not interfere with the backup.
How to Configure Display Options
The Display Options allow administrators to set up how the Content Collection appears to users.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Display Options
The following areas must be configured in Display Options:
- Content List Display Options: Set which features are available in the action bar, such as Add Folder and Copy. Determine which columns will appear, such as display size and display permissions.
- Menu Display Options: Choose how the left-hand navigation menu appears to users.
- Manage View Items: Customize the appearance of the shortcut and folder views.
How to Enable Content Management Features
Follow these steps to enable some of the features available in the Content Collection:
- Set the availability of eReserves.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Content Management Settings > eReserves
- Enable web folders or shared locations.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Feature and Tool Management > Web Folders
- Enable the availability of the learning objects catalog.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Learning Objects Catalog > Catalog Availability
- Select catalog managers.
Administrator Panel > Content Management > Learning Objects Catalog > Catalog Management Options
How to Enable Content Management Features in Courses
Follow these steps to enable Content Management features available in Blackboard Learn courses:
- Allow instructors to check links to Content Collection items within a course. Set the Check Course Links tool to Available.
Administrator Panel > Courses > Course Settings > Course Tools
- Allows instructors to copy files from a course to the Content Collection. Set the Move Files to Course Files tool to Available.
Administrator Panel > Courses > Course Settings > Course Tools
How to Access the Content Collection
Once enabled, the Content Collection tab appears whenever a user logs into Blackboard Learn. Administrators can access the Content Collection through this tab or through the Manage Content option on the Administrator Panel.