Two sets of avatars can be used together, separately, or not at all:
- Local Learn User Account Avatars: These avatars are stored locally and are displayed throughout Blackboard Learn.
- Cloud User Profile Avatars: If the cloud is turned on, these avatars are stored in the cloud and overwrite the Local Learn User Account Avatars.
About Local Learn User Account Avatars
If you enable avatars, users can upload an image from their computer or select an image from the institution’s library. Blackboard Learn displays avatars in course Rosters, Discussion Boards, Blogs, Wikis, and Journals. Avatars also display within Notification Modules such as What's New, Needs Attention, To Do, and Alerts.
You can enable or disable avatars at any time. This setting affects the entire Blackboard Learn system.
User-uploaded images do not go through any approval or moderation process. They are stored in a specific file system location and the avatar file name contains the user ID. You can delete a user's avatar file if necessary.
To restrict users to an approved set of images, upload the images and define the location in the Avatar Settings page.
How to Enable Local Learn User Account Avatars
- On the Administrator Panel, in the Tools and Utilities section, click Avatars.
- Select one of the following settings:
- No system avatars: Disables avatars for the entire Blackboard Learn system.
- Allow user to upload avatar image: Users can upload an image from their computers.
- Allow user to select system generated avatar: Users can select an image from the set provided by the institution.
If your institution is providing a set of approved images, you must store each image in its own folder within the images folder. Create one folder per user and name the folder User_[user_id]_1. For example, if the user_id is 245, name the folder User_245_1. If you do not follow this naming convention and folder structure, users will not be able to access their images.
You can find a user_id by navigating to the User page in the Administrator panel and selecting Edit next to their name. The URL for the Edit page contains their user_id. For example, in the URL https://mylearn.cloud.local/webapps/...user_id=_100_1, the user_id is 100.
The user_id is a numeric value and is not the same as username. If you query your database to find this value, this number is listed as the user's PK1.
You can place the images in the folder before or after you enable avatars in Blackboard Learn. However, users will not be able to use the avatars until you place the images in the correct folders.
This option allows users to select from your list of avatars. It does not auto-populate avatars for users.
- If you selected Allow user to select system generated avatar, provide the path to the folder that stores the images. Format the path as C:blackboardcontentvibb_bb60avatarsystem or /avatar/system/.
- Click Submit.
About Cloud User Profile Avatars
If Cloud is turned on, users can upload an avatar image to their user profiles in My Blackboard. When an avatar is uploaded to a profile, it is stored in the Blackboard cloud. There are no size limits for avatar images stored in the cloud. User-uploaded images do not go through any approval or moderation process.
User profile avatars display in My Blackboard and throughout the entire Blackboard Learn system. You cannot disable avatars while the cloud is on. There are no exceptions. Cloud avatars overwrite the local learn avatar settings and always display.