Back up the database using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backup/Restore Utility. Create a current SQL Server backup of all the Blackboard databases. If your school licenses content collection, you must back up additional databases along with the Blackboard Learn databases.
Blackboard Learn Databases
Blackboard Learn Legacy Databases
Content Management Databases
Content Management Legacy Databases
Follow the abbreviated steps below to perform a full backup of all your Blackboard databases using the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 backup and restore utility. The backup of any data should be scheduled for a time when you can turn off access to the Blackboard website. Backup the file system at the same time to ensure a synchronized backup of both file system content and databases.
Stop the Services
- Launch a command prompt from the Windows Start menu.
- Navigate to blackboard_home\tools\admin.
- Stop the iisadmin, bb-collab, and bb-tomcat services by typing the following command and pressing the ENTER key:
Configure and Initiate the Backup
- Click Start > All Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Management Studio.
- Connect to the database and click on the expanded Databases folder to expand the list of databases.
- Highlight the BBLEARN database and right click the mouse on the selected database.
- On the Properties menu point to Tasks, and then click Back Up. The Back Up Database dialog box appears.
- In the Backup Type list box, select Full. For Backup component, click Database. The default setting is to perform a Full database backup and will append to any existing media if available. Accept the default setting for the backup.
- In the Destination section of the General page, click Disk or Tape. Choose the destination or location of the database backup files by clicking Add. The default location of backups in SQL is under SQL Server’s directory tree.
C:\All Programs\Microsoft SQL Server 2005\MSSQL\BACKUP\
Blackboard recommends backing up your data to an alternate location. If there is a need to reinstall SQL Server the data files for your Blackboard application will be protected from accidental deletion during an SQL Server uninstall and reinstall.
The remaining SQL backup steps will outline how to backup to a new Backup Device location.
- After clicking Add, under the Destination field, a new window opens showing the default location to store the backup. Do not accept the default location. Click Browse to find a new backup device location directory on the local server.
- Browse to the new directory location and highlight the new directory.
- Enter a name in the file name field at the bottom of the Destination for the backup files using the .bak as the extension. Adding the extension will allow SQL Server to recognize the file type for all your database backup files.
dates-01122010.bak for January 12, 2010 or names-BBLEARN.bak for one time backups
Select the type of storage device the backup should be stored to, Disk or Tape.
- Click OK to accept the new device location and file name. Click OK again to close the Select Backup Destination window.
- From the Options page, under Reliability, select the Verify backup when finished button to complete the backup procedure.
- Click OK to start the database backup. The backup has completed when the message shows that the backup operation and verification completed successfully.
- Repeat the above steps for each Blackboard Learn and content management database.