After logging in to Blackboard, you "land" on the My Institution tab. Across the top of that page, other tabs might be available to you. Tabs that are visible depend on what capabilities your institution has licensed. Your institution can rename the pages and tabs that appear.
Modules on the My Institution tab collect information from all the courses you are enrolled in, giving you a total picture of news and activity for your courses.
Explore the My Institution Tab
- The Global Navigation Menu and My Blackboard are available everywhere in Blackboard Learn. Click the arrow next to your name at the top of the screen to access the following functions:
- All of your courses, as well as the Home and Help links. Users can change their settings, such as text size and personal information. The logout function is nearby.
- On the left side of the panel, My Blackboard pages display course communication, due dates, grades, and more. A number next to your name indicates how many new items are available. To learn more, see My Blackboard and Navigation.
- Tools: The tools available on this page roll up information from all of your courses. For example, the calendar shows events for all courses. Descriptions of the tools are available later in this page.
- Modules: Modules on the My Institution tab collect information from all the courses you are enrolled in or are teaching. Your institution determines which modules appear and whether you can add modules.
Use links in the modules to view information and navigate to those areas in your courses. You can collapse individual windows and drag modules to new positions on the page.
Your institution determines which modules appear. The following list includes modules you might see:
- My Courses: Access the courses you are enrolled in or teaching.
- My Announcements: Displays announcements for courses and from your institution. Announcements communicate important, time-sensitive information.
- My Tasks: Displays tasks added by instructors. You can add personal tasks when accessing tasks from Tools.
- Add Module: Click to view the list of available modules, such as dictionary, report card, and notes. Descriptions are provided in the list so you can choose the most significant. Your institution determines if you are allowed to add modules.
- Personalize Page: Change the color scheme of the page. Your institution determines if you are allowed to personalize the page.
Watch a Tutorial
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
In some instances, you have access to several tabs that contain modules. These additional tabs include the same features for customizing the content and layout of modules. For example, if your institution has licensed content management, you have the Content Collection tab. Institutions that license community engagement can create custom tabs, present different tabs to users based on roles, have a Community tab that lists a user's organizations, and have a Services tab that institutions use to provide links.
Your institution determines which tools appear on the Tools panel on the My Institution tab:
- Announcements: Displays announcements for courses you are enrolled in and from your institution. Announcements communicate important, time-sensitive information.
- Calendar: Displays events that your instructors have added. You can also post private, personal events.
- Tasks: Keep track of work with tasks your instructors have added. You can also add personal tasks.
- My Grades: Displays the status of gradable items such as tests, assignments, journal and blog entries, and discussion board posts. When you access your My Grades page from the Tools panel, you see grades for all the courses you are enrolled in.
- Send Email: A list of all the courses you are enrolled in appears. Send email messages to other course members' external email addresses.
- User Directory: Lists users within Blackboard Learn. Users only appear if they indicate that they want to be included on the Set Privacy Options page.
- Address Book: Store contact information in the address book. The address book is empty until you create contacts. You must create a profile for anyone you want to add to your address book even if the contact is a Blackboard Learn user.
- Personal Information: Access and edit your personal information that appears to other users. You can also change your password, set your privacy options, and personalize your settings.