You can add links to groups in your course so that students can access their groups more easily.
How to Add a Groups Link to the Course Menu
Each new course has a default groups link on the course menu. If you deleted it, you can add it again. You can also customize the name of the link.
- Point to the plus sign above the course menu. The Add Menu Item drop-down list appears.
- Click Tool Link.
- Type a Name for the link.
- From the Type drop-down list, click Groups.
- Select the Available to Users check box.
- Click Submit.
The new tool link appears last in the course menu list. Press and drag the arrows icon to move the link into a new position. Access the link's contextual menu. You can rename, delete, or hide the link from students.
You can manually add links to individual groups and sign-up sheets in course areas, such as content areas and folders.
You can set up a content area to include all the content and tools your students need for the week. After reading the weekly lecture, and viewing the slide presentation, students can also access the groups tool to complete the group assignment. Students do not need to navigate anywhere else in your course to complete all the required activities for the week.
When you add a link to a specific group in a content area, all students will see the link. However, if a student is not a member of the group, he or she will not be able to access the group homepage.
Use the following steps to add a group link in a course area:
- Access the course area where you want to add a group link, for example, the Week 2 content area.
- On the action bar, point to Tools and click Groups.
- On the Create Link: Group page, select the type of link: groups page, to a group, or to a group set. If linking to a group or group set, select it from the list.
- Click Next.
- On the next Create Link: Group page, complete the Link Information to specify how it will appear in the content area. Select the options you need.
- Click Submit.