This article is archived and is no longer updated. Go to the latest information on troubleshooting Blackboard Collaborate.
As a first time user, when you click Join Room on the Room Details page or a recording link in the Recordings table, Blackboard Collaborate prompts you to download the launcher. This initiates the launcher detection process, which tells the software that you downloaded and installed the launcher. This sets a flag in your browser, causing you to bypass the First time using Blackboard Collaborate? pop-up window next time you join a session or play a recording.
However, you may encounter the "first time user experience" and be prompted to download the launcher even though you installed the launcher earlier. You are treated as a first time user when you open a session or recording link in the following situations:
- You cleared your cache and cookies last time you exited your browser.
- You are using secure or private browsing.
- You installed the launcher using one browser but now are launching a session or recording in another browser.
To confirm that the launcher is installed, look for the application on your system:
- On Windows: The Windows launcher is called
Win32Launcher.exe. The default installation location is the following directory:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Blackboard\Blackboard Collaborate Launcher
Alternatively, look for the application Blackboard Collaborate Launcher in the Control Panel, under Programs and Features, or in the Start menu.
Windows 8 or later users can find the launcher on the Start page in Metro view.
- On Mac: The Mac launcher is called Blackboard Collaborate Launcher. The default installation location is your Downloads folder. However, when opening a .collab file, you had the option to move it to your Applications folder instead, so check there too.
If you do not have the launcher, install it.