You can upload files to Course Files in two ways:
- Upload files directly into Course Files. When you create content in your course, you can link to the files.
- Upload files when creating content in your course and those files are saved automatically in Course Files.
When you use Browse My Computer to upload files from your computer, most files are saved automatically in Course Files. If you upload them into a course area, you do not need to upload the same files directly to Course Files.
Example: Adding Files to Your Course
In a content area, you create a content item named "Course Schedule." Click Browse My Computer to upload a file from your computer that details the due dates for all assignments and tests. The file appears as a link in the content item and is also saved automatically in Course Files in the top-level folder. You can link to the file again in one or more course areas.
Course Files Saved Automatically When Creating Content
When creating content, most files are saved automatically in Course Files. Examples include:
- Files uploaded to content types from the Build Content drop-down list, such as item, file, URL, image, audio, video, syllabus, and course link.
- Files uploaded when creating assignments
- Files uploaded when creating announcements
- Files uploaded to descriptions, instructions, and questions in tests
- Course banner files uploaded to the course entry point
- Files uploaded using the functions in the content editor for journals and blogs topics, and when creating a wiki
- Files uploaded to the discussion board using the content editor or the Attachments section
- Files uploaded when creating HTML objects.
- Imported course packages (attached files must fit requirements above)
When creating content, some files are not saved automatically in Course Files because of potential privacy issues or the type of file. Examples include:
- Self and Peer Assessment files
- Files uploaded to journals and blog entries in the Journal/Blog Entry Files section
- Files uploaded to wiki pages and the wiki home page
- Course cartridge files
- SCORM files
- Glossary files
- Student files uploaded when participating in course activities, such as uploading an assignment document or attaching files when creating journal entries