This article is archived and is no longer updated. Go to the latest information on DirectSubmit.
DirectSubmit generates SafeAssign reports on papers not uploaded to an assignment using the SafeAssign service. You can use DirectSubmit to add papers to the institutional database. Whenever possible, Blackboard advises creating assignments with the SafeAssign submission option selected.
DirectSubmit is not integrated with the Grade Center.
In one session using DirectSubmit, you can submit a single paper or submit multiple papers in a single ZIP file. DirectSubmit cannot process files that are larger than 10 MB.
How to Submit Papers Through DirectSubmit
- On the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and click SafeAssign.
Click DirectSubmit. A list of folders and papers appears. This list includes papers already uploaded through DirectSubmit. Blackboard recommends not deleting files from DirectSubmit because this deletes them from the institutional database of existing materials.
- Navigate to a folder where you want to upload the paper or ZIP file.
Click Submit a Paper.
If you receive an error that you are not logged in, check your browser settings. Your browser settings should allow third party cookies and website data.
- Click Upload File and browse for the files. Alternatively, click Copy/Paste Document and add the document text in the box.
- Select the upload options:
- Submit as Draft: SafeAssign reports are generated, but the papers are not added to the institutional database and is not used to check other papers.
- Skip Plagiarism Checking: Adds the papers to the institutional database without checking for content copied from other sources. Use this option to upload papers from an earlier course to ensure that current students are not reusing work.
- Click Submit.
Shared and Private Folders
DirectSubmit shared folders are viewable by anyone with access to the DirectSubmit tool through your course. With shared folders, multiple instructors and teaching assistants can view submissions related to a course.
You can also use private folders to manage papers. Your private folders follow you and are available in any course where you have instructor-level privileges.
Supported File Types
DirectSubmit supports the following file types:
- Microsoft® Word document (DOC, DOCX)
- Rich Text Format (RTF)
- HTML (HTM, HTML)
- Text (TXT, TEXT)
- Zip-compressed multiple files (ZIP)
- Portable document format (PDF)
- Open document format (ODT)