You can delete a test before or after you deploy it. After you deploy a test, you must consider whether students have submitted attempts before deleting it.
When you delete a test or survey from a content area, the assessment itself is not deleted. It is still available on the Tests or Surveys page where you can edit, redeploy, or delete it from the system.
If students have not attempted to take the test or survey, you may safely delete it from the content area without any loss of data.
If you deploy a test or survey again, it is considered new. No connection or shared data exists between the first and second deployments. The Grade Center treat each deployment as separate Grade Center items.
If students have already taken an assessment, be cautious and consider the consequences before deleting it.
You can make an assessment unavailable rather than delete it.
Deleting an assessment with attempts has consequences. After clicking delete, a warning appears with options:
- Preserve scores in the Grade Center for this Test, but delete all attempts for this Test. This option deletes the assessment from the content area. Any grades in the Grade Center related to this assessment will remain, but the attempt itself will be deleted. In this instance, the grade stays but the assessment and any attempts are deleted. You cannot view any of the students' responses to questions. This can have serious consequences, for example, if an essay question still needs to be graded. You cannot grade the question after deleting the assessment because the details of the attempt were deleted.
- Remove this content item, the Grade Center item for this Test, all grades for this Test, and all attempts for this Test. This option deletes the assessment from the content area and erases any record of the assessment from the Grade Center. This will destroy all record of student performance on the assessment.
Use the following steps to delete an assessment from a content area:
- Access the assessment's contextual menu and click Delete.
- Click OK in the dialog box.
- Click Preserve scores in the Grade Center for this Test, but delete all attempts for this Test -OR- Delete this content item, the Grade Center item for this Test, all grades for this Test, and all attempts for this Test. (See previous explanations.)
On the Tests or Surveys page, access the item's contextual menu and click Delete.
If the Delete function does not appear in the contextual menu, you have deployed it in a content area. Follow the instructions for deleting a deployed test or survey before trying to delete it from the Tests or Surveys page.
Removing a test or survey deletes it, but does not have any impact on the Grade Center.