In the Grade Center, you can use categories to group related columns together and organize the data.
With categories, you can perform the following tasks:
- Filter your view of the Grade Center. For example, you can filter using the Assignment category and view only assignment columns in the Grade Center grid.
- Calculate grades. For example, you can assign a weight to a category when calculating final grades using a weighted column.
- Create a smart view. Smart views are views of the Grade Center based on a variety of student criteria. For example, you can generate a smart view that only displays columns associated with the Test category. To learn more, see Smart Views.
- Create a report. You can create a printable report that displays statistics of performance for all of the columns in a certain category. To learn more, see Grade Center Reporting.
Eight Default Categories
By default, the following eight categories are created in the Grade Center:
- Self and Peer
- Wiki—when the tool is available and you created a gradable wiki
When you create a gradable item from the preceding list, a grade column is created automatically for the item in the Grade Center. The column is associated automatically to the appropriate category.
Example: You create a gradable discussion forum titled “Week 1 Discussion.” A grade column with that name is included in the Grade Center. The column is associated automatically to the Discussion category.
Create and Manage Categories
You can create as many categories as needed to organize your Grade Center data. The Categories page in the Grade Center displays the default categories and any you create. Each category’s row displays an optional description and the grade columns associated with that particular category.
When you create a grade column, you can associate it with a category. If you do not, it defaults to No Category. You can also create custom categories before manually creating grade columns. Then, when you create a grade column, you can select the appropriate custom category. For example, you can create a Group category and associate the group participation and attendance grade columns to it.
How to Create Categories
- In the Grade Center, point to Manage on the action bar and click Categories.
- On the Categories page, click Create Category on the action bar.
- On the Create Category page, type the category Name and an optional Description. The description can help differentiate categories and explain a category’s purpose.
- Click Submit.
Sort, Edit, and Delete Categories
On the Categories page, you can sort the list, and edit and delete categories you created. You cannot edit the name and description or delete seven of the default categories, but you can move a column from one category to another category. When the Wiki category appears, you may edit the name and the description, but you cannot delete it.
To sort the Title column, click the column title. If many categories exist, click Show All to display all categories on one page. Click Edit Paging to change the number of items to view per page.
To edit or delete a category you created, access its contextual menu and click Edit or Delete. Alternatively, select one or multiple check boxes or select the check box in the header row and click Delete on the action bar. You cannot delete a category that has columns associated with it.
How to View a Category and Associate Columns
In the Grade Center, you can view the columns associated with a category in two ways. You can filter the view of the Grade Center and select a category. You can also view all categories and associated columns on the Column Organization page.
If you did not associate columns with a category when you created it, you can manually associate columns on the Column Organization page or when editing a column’s settings. For example, you can create a category for a group project and associate the columns that pertain.
The Filter Function
- In the Grade Center, click Filter on the action bar to expand the Filter field.
- In the Category drop-down list, select a category. The columns associated with the category appear in the grid. The view remains in the Grade Center until you change it or close your browser.
- Click the X to collapse the Filter field.
The Column Organization Page
On the Column Organization page, you can perform the following tasks:
- Move one or more columns to a category, a different category, or no category.
- Show and hide columns in the Grade Center grid.
- Change the order of grading period tables and columns.
To learn how to move columns to categories, see Organize Grade Center Data.
How to Associate Columns Manually
You can also associate a column with a category, a different category, or no category by editing the column's settings from the Grade Center grid.
- In the Grade Center, access the appropriate column header's contextual menu.
- Click Edit Column Information.
- On the Edit Column page, make a selection from the Category drop-down list in the Column Information section.
- Click Submit.
After submitting, the column is associated with the new category or no category, and the change appears in the Category column on the Column Organization page.