Original Launch: June 17, 2013
- Service Pack 10 and later
- Blackboard Collaborate Enterprise license
About the Blackboard Collaborate Building Block
The Blackboard Collaborate Building Block offers a robust tool set that allows instructors to web conference and connect with one student or an entire class. Instructors and students can collaborate using audio, video, and recording capabilities. Other functions include private and public chat, a whiteboard, application sharing, a clip art library, and the ability to add and edit content at any time.
Built-in Teleconference and VoIP Options
With Blackboard Collaborate, users can select built-in teleconference, which will dynamically generate the conference call number, leader PIN, and participant PIN. Students and guests accessing a session will see this information before they enter the room.
With the VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) option, users can hear the session through their computer speakers or a USB headset. With a headset, outside noises and echoes are diminished.
Users may also choose to use a third party option for their sessions. The moderator needs to supply the information to access the session.
Default Rooms for Each Course and Instructor
Course Room: A default room provided for each course that lasts as long as the duration of the course. By default, the room is titled with the course name and is always available.
- By default, students enter a Course Room as participants. Instructors and administrators enter as moderators. Instructors can allow all participants to join as moderators so collaboration can start without their presence.
- If instructors have supervision concerns, they can completely turn off a Course Room at the course level.
- Instructors can use Course Rooms to acclimate students to their course setup, introduce new concepts, host Q and A sessions, lead study sessions, and grade group presentations.
My Room: A default room provided for each instructor that lasts as long as a user retains an account on the system. By default, the room is titled with the instructor's name and is always available.
- My Room is accessible from any course where a user has the instructor role.
- Instructors can disallow participants from a certain course to enter their rooms.
- By default, students enter My Room as participants. Instructors can allow all students to join as moderators or only allow select users from a course they teach to join their rooms.
- Use My Room to provide office hours or help to users across all courses taught. When privacy is a concern, instructors can create a new session and restrict access to only the user to discuss an issue with.
Collaborate Launcher Pop-up Window
With some operating systems, when users click the Launch Room function, a pop-up window provides the following two options.
- If you do not have the Collaborate Launcher, download it now, and when complete, double-click the .collab file in your Downloads folder to launch your session.
- If you have already downloaded the Collaborate Launcher, double-click the .collab file in your Downloads folder to launch your session.
You may find you do not need to use the launcher as the .jnlp file opens your session properly after clicking Launch Room.
If you want to continue using the launcher for future sessions, click the You many need Collaborate Launcher link at any time to access the pop-up window again.
You can learn more about downloading or using the Collaborate Launcher from the link provided in the pop-up window.
For technical information and installation instructions, see Blackboard Collaborate Building Block Release Notes.