- Building Blocks: Blackboard Collaborate Building Block v.4.2
- Release date: June 17, 2013
- Updated: September 17, 2013
- Dependencies: Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP 10 or later and a Blackboard Collaborate license
The Blackboard Collaborate Building Block offers a robust tool set that allows instructors to web conference and connect with one student or an entire class. Instructors and students can collaborate using audio, video, and recording capabilities. Other functions include private and public chat, a whiteboard, application sharing, a clip art library, and the ability to add and edit content at any time.
The Blackboard Collaborate Building Block v.4.2 is supported on the following platforms:
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP 10 (Build: 9.1.100401.0) with Cumulative Patch 16 or later for clients on Oracle installations
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP 11 (Build: 9.1.110082.0) with Cumulative Patch 16 or later for clients on Oracle installations
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP 12 (Build: 9.1.120113.0)
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP 13 (Build: 9.1.130093.0)
The Blackboard Collaborate Building Block includes:
- Simpler session creation, including sessions that last longer than a year.
- Greatly improved user experience.
- "Course Room" and "My Room" for all courses and instructors.
- Support for built-in telephony.
- Localization to match Blackboard Learn’s languages.
- Upgrades from 4.1.3 to 4.2.1018984 completed with a corrupt status on some installations.
- Users with usernames exceeding 32 characters cannot create sessions.
- Session creation fails when a dash or period is present in the teleconference pin field.
- The Grade Center column is not created in the copied course when retrieving attendance from a shared session.
- Sessions created in the Collaborate Building Block 4.1.3 that were not restricted but had additional moderator invitees do not display this information in 4.2.x.
Note: Direct upgrades to this release are supported from Building Block versions 4.1.3 and 4.2.1018984.
- Clients on older versions of the Building Block will be required to upgrade to release 4.1.3 before installing this update.
- Clients running version 4.2.1018984 on Oracle installations will be required to restart Blackboard Services after installing this update.
How to install the Blackboard Collaborate Building Block
- Download the Blackboard Collaborate Building Block from Behind the Blackboard Downloads on the Feature Building Blocks for Learn page. Save the file on a local drive. Unzip the package to access the .war file.
- On the Administrator Panel, in the Building Blocks section, click Building Blocks.
- On the Building Blocks page, click Installed Tools.
- On the Installed Tools page, click Upload Building Blocks on the action bar.
- On the Install Building Block page, browse for the Blackboard Collaborate Building Block .war file.
- Click Submit.
- In the list of Building Blocks, navigate to Blackboard Collaborate and access its contextual menu.
- Select Available.
- Click Approve.
How to make Blackboard Collaborate available to users
After installation, you must make Blackboard Collaborate available in existing courses.
- On the Administrator Panel, in the Tools and Utilities section, click Tools.
- Locate Blackboard Collaborate in the list of tools and select Always On for Course Tool to turn the tool on for all courses. Select Default On to allow instructors to turn Blackboard Collaborate on or off in their courses from the Control Panel > Customization > Tool Availability.
To Learn More
To learn more, see Blackboard Collaborate Building Block.