Release Date: January 18, 2013
Requirements: Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP 11 (Build: 9.1.110082.0) and later
- Thread Detail page redesign - a new look was achieved while maintaining existing functionality.
- All posts on one page - all of the posts in a thread are now visible at the same time on one page.
- Instructor highlighting - posts made by forum managers and moderators now contain the user’s course role and forum role.
- Inline replies - when replying to a post, the content editor used to write a response appears on the same page, in the context of the discussion.
- Post First Discussions setting- this setting allows instructors to require students to post to a discussion before seeing other students’ posts.
You can use Software Updates to install the Discussions building block directly from the System Admin panel. Alternatively, you can visit Behind the Blackboard Downloads and find the Discussions building block, download and install manually.
Once installed, the Discussions building block replaces the old discussion board tool. It is not possible to uninstall this building block and roll back to the old discussion board.
Software Updates is located on the System Admin panel. When a new Building Block is available, or has been updated, you are notified by a change in the icons. Simply click the Feature Building Blocks Available icon and locate the Discussions Building Block. Click Install. You will need to make the Building Block available once it has installed.
Behind the Blackboard Downloads
- Navigate to the System Admin panel. Click Building Blocks.
- Click Installed Tools.
- Click Upload Building Blocks from the action bar.
- Browse for the Discussions Building Block .war file.
- Click Submit.
- You will get a success message when the building block is installed. Set the building block to Active and click Approve.
How to Make the Discussions Building Block Available
Once installed, you must make the Discussions building block available in existing courses.
- From the System Admin page, click Tools from the Tools and Utilities panel.
- Locate Discussions in the list of tools and select Always On for Discussions to turn the tool on for all courses. Select Default On to allow instructors to turn the Discussions on or off in their courses from the Control Panel under Customization > Tool Availability.
For Users of Mobile Learn on Service Pack 11 for Release 9.1: There is an important update to the Mobile Learn building block that is required to enable the Post First functionality in Mobile Learn. Failure to apply this new building block allows mobile users to bypass the Post First functionality. The updated Mobile Learn building block can be found in Software Updates.
To Learn More
To learn more about the building block's features, see Discussion Board Updates.