Looking for more information about the SafeAssign tool? Go to the SafeAssign overview page.
SafeAssign is used to prevent plagiarism and to create opportunities to help students identify how to properly attribute sources rather than paraphrase. It compares submitted assignments against a set of academic papers to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works. SafeAssign is effective as both a deterrent and an educational tool.
SafeAssign includes a central service component and a Building Block. The latest Building Block can be installed through Software Updates, or refer to the latest Release Notes to download the Building Block for manual installation.
- Building Block Name: SafeAssign
- Version: SafeAssign 4.0.18
- Supported Blackboard Learn Versions: Learn 9.1 October 2014, Q4 2015 and Q2 2016 releases only
- Date Released: August 23, 2016
- Released by:
- Download using Software Updates. The SafeAssign building block appears as an update in the Software Updates module within 24 hours.
- Download the .war file.
To learn more, see Install and Manage Building Blocks.
Markets and Verticals
SafeAssign is available to all markets and verticals.
Resolved Issues & Improvements
- Fixed an issue preventing SafeAssign data from being included in batch course archives
- Updated some error messages to be translatable
- Various maintenance and security fixes
- Instructors can use SafeAssign to investigate plagiarism potential in assignment submissions.
- If allowed by instructors, students can review their own work for plagiarism potential.
Managed Hosting Clients
The Blackboard Managed Hosting team will apply this Building Block on hosted Production systems currently using the October 2014, Q4 2015 or Q2 2016 Release during a standard maintenance window. Customers will be contacted in a separate communication with the date and the time scheduled along with the expected impact to the hosted systems. For clients that want the update sooner they may update the Building Block via Software Updates module and create a Support case on Behind the Blackboard to schedule the recommended server restarts (to expedite the scheduling process please include a desired day and time for the restarts to begin).
Release Notes for Earlier Versions
Release notes for earlier versions are available in English only.