Launch Date: March 18, 2013
Supported Platforms: All Blackboard Learn 9.1 Service Packs (SPs)
Safe Assign is used to prevent plagiarism and to create opportunities to help students identify how to properly attribute sources rather than paraphrase. It compares submitted assignments against a set of academic papers to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works. SafeAssign is effective as both a deterrent and an educational tool.
SafeAssign comprises a central service component and a Building Block. The latest Building Block can be installed through Software Updates, or refer to the latest Release Notes to download the Building Block for manual installation.
An update of SafeAssign services and building block has been released for Blackboard Learn 9.1. This update resolves several issues, detailed below in the resolved issues section.
How to Get the Building Block
Clients running Learn versions 9.1 SP 4 and later will receive the download of this latest building block via Software Updates. The SafeAssign building block will appear as an update in the Software Updates module within 24 hours.
- Clients running Learn 9.1 SP 3 or earlier can download building block version 2.8.3.
- Receive "ERROR: query did not return a unique result: 2" when attempting to view SafeAssignments for a course when duplicate courses exist in SafeAssign.
- Error creating a SafeAssignment when a course has an existing SafeAssignment prior to installation of building block version 2.7.1.
- SafeAssign hangs on an intermediate page when students access a SafeAssignment in Learn 9.1 SP10.
- Text begin with angle brackets “<” in SafeAssignment Instruction and Comment fields are treated as a div tag.>
- Name, Matching, and Submitted columns headers are not sortable in SP8. Note that Text, File and SA Report columns are NOT sortable by design.
- Success message is not displayed when student submits a paper.