Launch Date: June 5, 2013
Supported Platforms: All Blackboard Learn 9.1 Service Packs (SPs)
An update of the SafeAssign services and Building Block has been released for Blackboard Learn™ 9.1. This update implements a change in SafeAssign's public internet search integration and resolves several issues.
SafeAssign Internet Search
SafeAssign is based on a unique text matching algorithm capable of detecting exact and inexact matching between a paper and source material. The SafeAssign algorithm compares submissions against several different data sources, one of which is an index of documents available for access on the public internet. The SafeAssign processing engine integrates to a third-party search API to query commercial indexes of the public internet.
With this release, the SafeAssign internet search integration transitions from use of an API provided by Microsoft™ Bing Services to an API provided by Yahoo!™ BOSS Services. While this change transitions our API integration to a different provider, both services operate against the same internet search indexes and provide a high correlation of results in our testing. We also expect this change to provide improved reliability and consistency in this search component.
Existing originality reports will not be affected by the change in internet search API providers. New submissions and reprocessing requests on existing originality reports will be processed through the new search API following deployment of this release. This change is implemented in the June 5, 2013 upgrade of the SafeAssign central service and is not dependent on installation of the updated Building Block.
To learn more about SafeAssign internet search, see SafeAssign Basics for Administrators.
- SafeAssign is extracting only the last page of a given Microsoft Word document.
- SafeAssign report does not include content from Microsoft Word 2010 document footnotes.
- Character limitation when adding comments to a SafeAssign submission.
- SafeAssign fails to process big feedbacks sent from Modify Grade screen.
- Long folder names in SafeAssign overlap other elements on the Direct Submit page.
- Menu Edit item does not float over Direct Submit page.
- SafeAssign reports that a paper text section is missing part of a given Microsoft Word document.
How to Get the Building Block
Clients running Learn 9.1 SP 4 and later will receive the download of this latest building block through Software Updates. The SafeAssign building block will appear as an update in the Software Updates module within 24 hours.
- Clients running Learn 9.1 SP 3 or earlier can download building block version 2.9.1.