Launch Date: March 07, 2013
Requirements: Service Pack (SP) 10 and later
An update of Software Updates, the Cloud Profiles, and Social Profiles and Tools building blocks has been released for Blackboard Learn 9.1 Service Pack 10 (9.1.100401.0) and 9.1 Service Pack 11 (9.1.110082.0). If you have Cloud Profiles or Social Profiles and Tools on, Blackboard highly recommends you install these building blocks as soon as possible. The process that syncs the Learn user and course enrollment information to the Blackboard Cloud for the Social Learning Cloud tools will not fully function as expected until these versions are installed. These building blocks also resolve several issues, detailed below in the resolved issues section.
This version of the building blocks apply to the following platforms that have Cloud Profiles or Social Profiles and Tools enabled:
9.1 SP 11 (9.1.11082.0)
The building blocks were released through Software Updates on Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 12PM US Eastern (GMT -5). See the instructions for “Installing Building Blocks through Software Updates” below.
9.1 SP 10 (9.1.100401.0)
The building blocks will be released through Software Updates on Monday, March 18, 2013 at 12PM US Eastern (GMT -5).
Why not publish the building blocks in Software Updates for SP10 clients now?
In 9.1 SP10, a Learn issue exists where the classes are not properly unloaded from the PermGen memory, causing out of memory errors with multiple building block installations or restarts. This issue has been fixed in 9.1 SP10 Cumulative Patch 4. However, the Social Cloud building blocks are more likely to trigger this condition due to the framework used internally. Therefore, we are waiting to publish the building blocks on Software Updates until Cumulative Patch 4 is more widely installed and until the latest cumulative patch has been applied in Managed Hosting environments.
9.1 SP 10 Self Hosted Clients
Because we highly recommend the building blocks be installed as soon as possible, they have been provided for manual download and installation on this download page. Download all .war files and read the README.txt file carefully for installation instructions. If 9.1 SP10 Cumulative Patch 4 has not yet been installed, schedule the installation of the building blocks in conjunction with a Learn restart of services.
For installation from Software Updates after March 18, see the instructions for “Installing Building Blocks through Software Updates” below.
9.1 SP 10 Managed Hosting Clients
After the latest cumulative patch has been applied, see instructions for “Installing Building Blocks through Software Updates” below after March 18.
Installing Building Blocks through Software Updates
A new version of Software Updates will be automatically installed, and the Cloud Profiles and Social Profiles building blocks will appear as updates in the Software Updates module within 24 hours.
It is important that the latest Software Updates (version 2.2.7 or higher) is installed before installing the Cloud Profiles and Social Profiles and Tools building blocks.
- Confirm your Software Updates version by navigating to the System Admin page > Software Updates (Cloud Management) page. Version 2.2.7 or higher should display as the Software Updates version.
- Update the Cloud Profiles Building Block from the “Building Block Updates Available” section of the Software Updates module on the System Admin page. Verify version 1.2.8 or higher is installed and available.
- Install the new Social Profiles and Tools Building Block from the “Building Block Updates Available” section of the Software Updates module on the System Admin page. Verify version 1.2.8 or higher is installed.
- Learn user and course enrollment batch sync no longer executes, causing inconsistent information in the People and Profile tools. The sync still occurs consistently for the individual user upon Learn login, but the batch sync for the institution will only resume execution once this version of the Cloud Profiles building block has been installed.
- Once a profile is merged, user may need to change Learn tabs to use the My Profile link in the global navigation menu. Changing Learn tabs rebuilds the global navigation menu with the newly merged profile. This issue will be resolved in the next update of the Cloud Profiles building block.
- Localization issues: Primary Email Address text appearing in US English on the Edit Profile page. Profile Merge confirmation dialog shows variables in the text.
- Cloud Connector page does not always prompt administrator when a Learn instance has been cloned: in some cases, when a Learn instance has been cloned to a second instance, the Cloud Connector page does not prompt the administrator to resolve the cloud connection conflict.
- People tool "My Learning Network" shows error: for a small number of clients, the error "Profile could not be loaded. Try again later." appears on the "My Learning Network" filter of the People tool.
- Cloud Management and Software Updates modules on System Admin tab are displaying Access Denied for administrators without the System Administrator role: this issue will be resolved in Learn 9.1 SP12. The following privileges will be required to see the modules:
- Software Updates module: Administrator Panel (Building Blocks) > Building Blocks > Installed Tools
- Cloud Management module: Modify Social Cloud Settings
To Learn More
To learn more about the Social Learning Tools Building Block, see Social Learning Tools Building Block.