Batch files are delimited files that allow you to enroll as many as 500 users into different courses at one time.
About Enrollment Batch Files
Enrollment batch files must contain a course ID and username for every record. You can also include a course role and the user's system availability and course availability status.
Enrollment batch files must comply with the required format and sequence shown here:
"Course ID","Username","Course Role","System Availability", "Course Availability"
Note the following when creating an enrollment batch file:
- Blackboard Learn supports TXT and CSV file types. Microsoft Excel versions 2003 and later automatically insert double quotes around every field if the worksheet is saved as a CSV file.
- Use the same delimiter in every record. Valid delimiters are comma, tab, and colon.
- Batch files must be in DOS format. Convert files in MAC or UNIX format to DOS before uploading.
- Enclose each field in double straight quotation marks. For example: "ENG_201"
- If quotation marks appear in a field, precede them with a backslash (\) to indicate that the next character does not mark the end of the field. This guideline does not apply to enrollment batch files, as course IDs and usernames cannot contain quotation marks.
- Separate each field with a comma, colon, or tab. Use only one type of delimiter throughout the batch file. For example: "ENG_201","jbell" or "ENG_202":"jbell"
- Put each record on a separate line. For example:
- Do not exceed 500 records. This size limit is due to timeout restrictions associated with most browsers.
About Required Valid Values for Enrollment Batch Files
If you include the optional attributes in the enrollment batch file, you must use the following required valid values:
- Course Role: "B" for course builder, "G" for grader, "P" for instructor, "S" for student, "T" for teaching assistant, "U" for guest. If you do not specify a course role value, Blackboard Learn assigns the default role of student.
- Course Availability: Y (Yes, available to the user immediately) and N (No, unavailable to the user until you make it available). If you do not specify a course availability value, Blackboard Learn assigns the default value of Y.
- System Availability: Y (Yes, the user has access to Blackboard Learn) and N (No, the user does not have access to Blackboard Learn until you make it available). If you do not specify a system availability value, Blackboard Learn assigns the default value of Y.
About Header Fields
When files are created for batch loading, regardless of language pack or computer operating system, the following header fields must be in ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) characters:
- Any Boolean field (Y/N, T/F)
- Any ID such as Course ID or Organization ID
Header fields may contain any ASCII alphanumerical characters, underscores "_", dots ".", and hyphens "-".
Headers fields cannot contain the following special characters: : " ' / \ . % & # < > = + * ? |
About Special Characters
The course description, name, and announcement text can contain special characters such as : " ' / \ . % & # < > = + * ? |
No other attributes in the course batch file can use these special characters. When creating attributes, use only alphanumeric characters, underscores, dots, and hyphens. Do not use spaces.