Blackboard Learn has a robust set of tools and the flexibility to add new tools to the platform. The Manage Tools page lists each tool that is available in Blackboard Learn. Each row shows the availability of the tool to authenticated users, guests, and observers.
Check mark: The tool is available to the user type.
- Red X: The tool can never be available to the user type.
- Gray block: That tool is not currently available to the user type.
Also listed for each tool is the type of tool:
- Content Type: Items that can be displayed in a course (or organization).
- Course Tool: A tool that may be used in a course.
- Organization Tool: A tool that may be used in an organization. Organization tools are available only if your school licenses community engagement.
- System Tool: System-wide tools such as tabs.
Course tools are managed on the Course Tools page. To learn more, see How to Set Default Course Tools in Creating Default Settings for Courses.
How to Manage Tools
- On the Administrator Panel, under Tools and Utilities, click Tools.
- Access a tool's contextual menu and click Edit.
- Select one of the following options to set the Tool Availability for each different type of user: authenticated users, guests, and observers. If the option does not exist to set availability for a type of user, that type of user cannot access the tool.
- Always Off: The tool is locked in the OFF state and does not appear in courses and organizations.
- Always On: The tool is locked in the ON state and appears in courses and organizations. Instructors do not have to use the tool and can hide the tool link if they do not want students to access it.
- Default Off: The tool is set to OFF. However, instructors can choose to make the tool available in individual courses and organizations.
- Default On: The tool is set to ON. However, instructors can choose to make the tool unavailable in individual courses and organizations.
System tools have only two settings: Always On or Always Off. Course and organization tools have all four settings.
- Click Submit.