Viewing the Discussion Board Page
The Discussion Board page contains all the forums you have created for your course.
Create forums and use the search function to search for discussion board content from the action bar. By default, the search field appears collapsed to save screen space.
- To sort a column, click the column heading or caret. For example, if you sort the Forum column, the items appear in alphabetical or reverse alphabetical order.
- To view the posts, click the forum title. Forums containing unread posts appear in bold type.
- For each forum, view the total number of posts, the number of unread posts, and the number of users who have participated in the forum. For one-click access to the forum's unread messages, click the link in the Unread Posts column.
Viewing a Discussion Forum
When you access a forum, a list of threads appears. The following columns display information for each thread:
- Date: Displays the date the thread was created.
- Author: Displays the name of the user who created the thread.
- Status: Indicates whether the thread is published, hidden, locked, unavailable, or a draft.
- Unread Posts: Displays the number of posts not yet accessed.
- Total Posts: Displays the total number of posts, including both read and unread posts.
To sort a column, click the column heading or caret.
- Use the breadcrumbs to navigate to a previous page. Do not use the browser navigation controls because page load errors may occur.
- Use the action bar functions to perform various actions, including:
- Create Thread: Add a new thread to a forum.
- Search: Search for discussion board content. By default, the search field appears collapsed to save screen space.
- Grade Forum: Grade posts, if you have enabled grading for the forum.
- Thread Actions: Make a selection from the drop-down list. Edit the status of the selected threads and perform other actions, such as marking threads read or unread and setting or clearing flags. Flags mark threads for later attention.
- Delete: Remove selected threads from a forum. You cannot restore deleted threads. Use the Make Unavailable function in the Thread Actions drop-down list to completely hide threads from users without actually deleting the threads.
- Collect: Gather selected threads onto one page where you can sort, filter, and print them.
- Select multiple threads' check boxes or select the check box in the header row to select all threads for an action, such as deleting.
- Click a thread title to read the posts. Forum titles containing unread posts appear in bold type.
- Click Edit Paging to determine the number of items to view per page. Type a number in the box and click Go. Click the X to close the pop-up box.
Using List View and Tree View in Discussions
After you click a forum title, a page loads displaying all forum threads. View the page in either list view or tree view. This choice remains in effect until you change it. You may change it at any time. Change the view on the forum page, in the upper-right corner.
Click List View to present the threads in a table format. Threads containing any unread posts appear in bold type.
- From the action bar, you can create threads, collect, or delete posts.
Depending on the settings you made when creating the forum, different functions appear on the action bar. For example, if you allowed tagging, a Tags function appears. To learn more, see Managing Discussions.
- To sort a column, click the column heading or caret.
- Select the check box next to a thread and make a selection from the Thread Actions drop-down list. You can select multiple threads or select the check box in the header to select all threads. The actions include:
- Marking threads read or unread.
- Setting or clearing flags. Flags mark threads for later attention.
- Editing the status of the selected threads.
- Subscribing or unsubscribing for email alerts to threads, if enabled. To learn more, see Creating Forums in the Discussion Board.
Click Tree View to show the thread starter messages and their replies. From the action bar, you can create threads, collect, or delete posts.
Expand and collapse threads with the plus and minus icons next to the titles. If a thread starter message contains unread posts, the thread starter title appears in bold type. On the action bar, use the Collapse All and Expand All functions to hide or see all posts included in all threads.
Select the check box next to a thread and make a selection from the Message Actions drop-down list on the action bar. You can select multiple threads or select the check box in the header to select all threads. Actions include marking threads read or unread and setting or clearing flags. Flags mark threads for later attention.
About the Thread Detail Page
On the Thread Detail page, you can navigate from post to post, adjust your view of the page, view information about the selected post, and reply to others.
Your school controls how you view the Thread Detail page. There is a default view and an updated view.
Default View of Thread Detail Page
- On the action bar, you can access functions such as Subscribe, Unsubscribe, or Search. When subscribed to a thread, you receive an email alert when a post is updated or a reply is posted. Your instructor must enable this function when creating a forum. The search field is hidden by default to save screen space.
- Select one or more threads and make a selection in the Message Actions drop-down list. Actions include marking threads read or unread and setting or clearing flags. Flags mark threads for later attention. You can also use the functions for collecting posts and selecting all posts.
- Arrange your view using the icons on the action bar.
- Swap Up or Down: Switches the message tree section and the reply section of the screen.
- Hide or Restore to Minimum: Collapses or displays the message tree section of the screen.
- Maximize or Minimize: Displays the message tree fully or just a portion of the message tree.
- Use the Move to previous message or Move to next message arrows for navigating between messages in the thread.
- Click Parent Post to display or hide the parent message in the thread.
Creating a Discussion Board Forum (Flash movie | 4m 21s)
Creating a Discussion Board Thread (Flash movie | 2m 4s)
Replying to a Discussion Board Thread (Flash movie | 2m 3s)