Information about the textbooks used in your course can be included in a course area. When you use the Assign Textbook tool, the textbook information is also included in the Course Catalog where prospective students can access this information prior to enrollment. The Course Catalog is accessed on the logon page or on the Courses tab after logging in.
Note: The Blackboard administrator at your school controls whether this tool is available. If this tool is not available, you can contact your administrator to discuss its status.
How to Assign a Textbook
- Change Edit Mode<end definition>. to ON.
- Access a content area, learning module, lesson plan, or folder.
- On the action bar, , point to Assign Textbook to access the drop-down list.
- Select Search for Textbook.
- On the Search for Textbook page, select a Search category from the drop-down list: ISBN, Title, Author, or Subject.
- Type Keywords, such as an author's name or title.
- To further narrow the search, select the Type of book: Digital, Print, or All. You can also select a Currency.
- Click Go when you have provided all necessary information.
- From the list of search results, click Select for a textbook to assign it to your course.
- On the Create Textbook page, select Required or Recommended for the textbook.
- Optionally, provide a Description.
- In the Options section:
- Select Yes for Permit Users to View this Content so that students can see it.
- Select Yes for Track Number of Views to record the number of times the item is viewed, when it is viewed, and by whom.
- Select Date and Time Restrictions to display the textbook on a specific date and time and to stop displaying it on a specific date and time.
- Click Submit to add the textbook information as a content item to the course area.
If your search does not return the needed result, point to Assign Textbook on the action bar and select Manual Entry Textbook from the drop-down list.
Adding Textbook Information to Your Course (Flash video | 2m 6s)