Tests and surveys are used to measure student knowledge, gauge progress, and gather information from students. You can create tests and surveys and then deploy them in a course area. You assign points to test questions for grading evaluation, but survey questions are not scored.
When you create an assessment, consider:
- Is this to be a test or survey?
- Are special instructions needed?
- How many questions?
- What type of questions?
- For tests, what is the point value associated with each question?
- Will partial credit be acceptable for some or all test questions?
- Are some test questions very difficult and may count as extra credit?
Tests and surveys are used to measure a student’s understanding of the course content, and are deployed to students by adding them to a content area. Once added to a content area, test and survey properties such as availability and presentation options are managed there. To learn more, see Creating Tests and Surveys.
After a test or survey is added to a content area, the Test Options or Survey Options page appears. To learn more, see Deploying Tests and Surveys.
You can view and grade tests submitted by students in the Grade Center. Tests and surveys submitted by students may not be viewed or graded from the content area where they are deployed.
Before you begin adding questions, you may want to change the test or survey's question settings. Question settings include options to change default point values for a test, add images, files, or web links to questions and answers, and designate questions as extra credit.
To learn more, see Changing Question Settings.
When you delete a test or survey from a content area, the assessment itself is not deleted. It is still available on the Tests or Surveys page, and you can edit, redeploy, or delete it from the system.
If students have not attempted to take the assessment, it may be safely deleted from the content area without any loss of data.
If you deploy an assessment again, it is presented as a new assessment. There is no connection or shared data between the first and second deployments and the Grade Center will treat each deployment as separate Grade Center Items.
If students have already taken an assessment, be cautious and consider the consequences before deleting it.
You can make an assessment unavailable before actually deleting it.
Deleting an assessment with attempts has consequences. After selecting delete, a warning appears with options to consider.
- Preserve scores in the Grade Center for this test, but all attempts for this test will be deleted. This option deletes the assessment from the content area. Any grades in the Grade Center related to this assessment will remain but the attempt itself will be deleted. In this instance, the grade stays but the assessment and any attempts are deleted. It will not be possible to view any of the student’s responses to questions. This can have serious consequences, for example, if an essay question still needs to be graded, it will not be possible to do so after deleting the assessment because the details of the attempt were deleted.
- Remove this content item, the Grade Center item for this test, all grades for this test, and all attempts for this test. This option deletes the assessment from the content area and erases any record of the assessment from the Grade Center. This will destroy all record of student performance on the assessment.
Use the following steps to delete an assessment from a content area:
- Navigate to the content area where the assessment is located.
- Change Edit Mode to ON.
- Access the assessment's contextual menu.
- Select Delete.
- Click OK on the dialog box.
- Select Preserve scores in the Grade Center for this test, but delete all attempts for this test or Delete this content item, the Grade Center item for this test, all grades for this test, and all attempts for this test. (See previous explanations.)
- Click Submit.
On the Tests or Surveys page, you delete tests and surveys by selecting the Delete option from the assessment's contextual menu.
If the Delete function does not appear for an assessment, you have deployed it in a content area. Follow the instructions for deleting a deployed assessment before trying to delete the assessment from the Tests or Surveys page.
Removing an assessment deletes the assessment, but does not have any impact on the Grade Center.