On the Test Canvas, you can add, edit, and delete questions in a test. You can also add question sets or random blocks, reorder questions, and edit a test's information before students submit attempts.
Access the Test Canvas from the Grade Center, the Course Tools section in the Control Panel, and by accessing a deployed test in a course area, such as a content area or learning module.
After students submit attempts, the ability to modify a test is limited. Once a test has attempts associated with it, you cannot add a question, modify the number of questions in a question set, or change a random block definition or options. However, you can edit, delete, reorder, and change the point values of existing questions. Deleting questions or changing the point values affect all previously submitted test attempts. All affected submissions are regraded.
If a test has one or more attempts in progress, you cannot delete questions.
- Access the Grade Center.
- In the column heading for the test, access the contextual menu.
- Select Edit Test. The Test Canvas appears.
- In the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section.
- Select Tests, Surveys, and Pools.
- On the Tests, Surveys, and Pools page, select Tests.
- On the Tests page, access a test's contextual menu.
- Select Edit. The Test Canvas appears.
You can edit a test that is deployed in a course area, such as a content area, learning module, lesson plan, or folder. In this example, a test is edited from a content area.
- In a content area, access a test's contextual menu.
- Select Edit the Test. The Test Canvas appears.
- On the Test Canvas, access a question's contextual menu.
- Select Edit. The question's Create/Edit page appears.
You can change possible points awarded for answering questions correctly.
- On the Test Canvas, select the check box for each question requiring a change.
- On the action bar, type a number in the Points box.
- Click Update or Update and Regrade to make your changes.
- On the Test Canvas, click a question's current point value.
- In the Update Points pop-up box, edit the points, set the question as Extra Credit, or give Full Credit.
- Click Submit or Submit and Regrade to make your changes.
In both cases, new grades are recalculated for all previously submitted tests. To remove a question's Extra Credit or Full Credit designation, click the question's current point value and clear the appropriate check box.
You will not be able to add extra credit or partial credit for questions unless you chose these options in Question Settings on the action bar.
After you deploy a test and students submit attempts, you can delete questions. All affected submissions are regraded. If a test has one or more attempts in progress, you cannot delete questions.
- On the Test Canvas, select the check box for each question to delete.
- On the action bar, click Delete and Regrade.
The question numbers update after one or more questions are deleted. New grades are recalculated for all previously submitted tests.
By default, when you create new questions, they are added to the end of the test. Reorder questions using the drag-and-drop function or the keyboard accessible reordering tool.
Changing question order only affects new test attempts, assuming the test is not set to display questions in random order. Attempts already submitted retain the order as originally viewed when the test was taken.
Questions are automatically numbered in the order they are added, and the question numbers update when questions are reordered or randomized. Therefore, use caution when referring to specific question numbers in the questions' text.