Essay questions require students to type an answer in a text box. You can type directly in the text box or paste a question from another application, such as a simple text editor like Notepad or TextEdit.
Essay questions are graded manually.
When creating Essay questions, you can use the math and equation editor. To learn more, see Using the Math Editor.
- Access a test, survey, or pool. To learn more, see Tests, Surveys, and Pools.
- On the action bar, point to Create Question to access the drop-down list.
- Select Essay.
- On the Create/Edit Essay Question page, type the Question Text. Optionally, you can use the content editor to format the text and include files, images, web links, multimedia, and mashups.
- Optionally, type a sample Answer.
- Optionally, associate a rubric by clicking Add Rubric. To learn more, see Rubrics.
- Click Submit.
Other question types that allow student input include:
- File Response questions
- Fill in the Blank questions
- Fill in Multiple Blanks questions
- Short Answer questions allow you to limit the length of the response. Like Essay questions, Short Answer questions are manually graded.
Related Tutorials Creating an Essay Question (Flash video | 2m)