Jumbled Sentence questions require students to complete a sentence by selecting words or phrases from a drop-down list. The same drop-down list appears for all blanks and can include both correct answers and distractors. Up to 20 different words or phrases can appear on the list.
Jumbled Sentence questions are graded automatically.
Type the question text as students see it, but replace the missing information with variables in square brackets. For example, “Single water molecules are held together by [a] bonds and multiple water molecules are held together by [b] bonds. The kind of bond where atoms are sharing electrons, but are not sharing them equally is [c].” Variables can consist of letters, digits (0-9), periods ( . ), underscores ( _ ) and hyphens ( - ). Variable names must be unique, and you cannot reuse them.
- Access a test, survey, or pool. To learn more, see Tests, Surveys, and Pools.
- On the action bar, point to Create Question to access the drop-down list.
- Select Jumbled Sentence.
- On the Create/Edit Jumbled Sentence Question page, type the question, adding the variables in square brackets. Optionally, you can use the content editor to format the text and include files, images, web links, multimedia, and mashups.
- Select Allow Partial Credit if you want to allot each correct answer a fraction of the total point value.
- Select the Number of Answers from the drop-down list. Click Remove to delete extra answers.
- Type answers in the Answer boxes. The list can include only correct answers or both correct answers and distracters. On the next page, you select the correct answer for each variable.
- Click Next.
- On the next Create/Edit page, use the drop-down list to select the correct answer for each variable.
- Optionally, provide Feedback or Categories and Keywords. To learn more, see Adding Question Metadata.
- Click Submit.
You can specify partial or negative credit for Jumbled Sentence questions. Partial credit gives a percentage of the question’s possible points for a partially correct answer.
You must enable the options to specify partial or negative credit on the Question Settings page to use them for individual questions.
Follow these steps to specify partial credit for Jumbled Sentence questions.
- On the Test Canvas, create or edit a Jumbled Sentence question.
- In the Options section, select the Allow Partial Credit check box. The amount of partial credit will be assigned automatically, depending on the question’s possible points and the number of answers.
- Click Submit.
Related Tutorials Creating a Jumbled Question (Flash video | 3m 52s)