Multiple choice questions allow students several choices with only one correct answer.
Use Multiple Answer Questions to create multiple choice questions with more than one answer.
- Access a test, survey, or pool. To learn more, see Tests, Surveys, and Pools.
- On the action bar, point to Create Question to access the drop-down list.
- Select Multiple Choice.
- On the Create/Edit Multiple Choice Question page, type the question. Optionally, you can use the content editor to format the text and include files, images, web links, multimedia, and mashups.
- The default number of choices is 4. If you want to increase this, select the Number of Answers from the drop-down list. To reduce the number of answers, click Remove next to the answer boxes to delete them. A multiple choice question cannot have fewer than 2 answers or more than 20 answers.
- Type an Answer in each box.
- Select the Correct answer by clicking the appropriate option. Only one correct answer is selected.
- Optionally, type feedback for correct and incorrect answers. If you allowed partial credit, answers that are partially correct will receive the feedback for an incorrect answer.
- Click Submit.
You can specify partial or negative credit for Multiple Choice questions. Partial credit rewards students whose answer demonstrates incomplete mastery of the material. Use negative credit to discourage guessing.
You must enable the options to specify partial or negative credit on the Question Settings page to use them for individual questions.
Follow these steps to specify partial or negative credit for Multiple Choice questions.
The option to allow negative scores will not appear unless you selected the option to allow partial credit.
- On the Test Canvas, create or edit a Multiple Choice question.
- In the Options section, select the Allow Partial Credit check box.
- Optionally, select the Allow Negative Scores for Incorrect Answers check box. This option appears after you select Allow Partial Credit.
In the Partial Credit % text box below each incorrect answer, type a value for partial credit. This number is read as a percent. For example, typing 50 will give the student 50% of the question’s possible points for selecting that answer. Zero is an acceptable value.
- To assign negative credit to an answer, type a negative number in the Partial Credit % text box. For example, typing -50 will subtract 50% of the question’s possible points from a student’s total grade for selecting that answer. Zero is an acceptable value.
- Click Submit.
Creating a Multiple Choice Question (Flash movie | 2m 54s)