Opinion Scale/Likert questions are designed to measure students’ attitudes or reactions using a comparable scale. By default, five answer choices appear, ranging from Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree, and a sixth option that allows students to select Not Applicable. You can change the text of the answer choices and adjust the number of answers from 2 to 20.
Opinion Scale/Likert questions are graded automatically.
Opinion Scale/Likert questions are ideal for surveys. If you include the questions in a test, you must select a correct answer. If you require just an opinion, change the point value to zero so the question does not affect the test total.
- Access a test, survey, or pool. To learn more, see Tests, Surveys, and Pools.
- On the action bar, point to Create Question to access the drop-down list.
- Select Opinion Scale/Likert.
- On the Create/Edit Opinion Scale/Likert Question page, type a question or statement. Optionally, you can use the content editor to format the text and include files, images, web links, multimedia, and mashups.
- Select Answer Numbering and Answer Orientation from the drop-down lists or leave the defaults.
- Select the Number of Answers from the drop-down list or leave the default of six. Click Remove to delete an answer box.
- To change the default answers, or to add answers if you have increased the number of possible answers, type an answer in each box.
- If you are creating this question in a test, select the correct answer.
- Optionally, provide Feedback or Categories and Keywords. To learn more, see Adding Question Metadata.
- Click Submit.
You can specify partial credit for Opinion Scale/Likert questions. Partial credit rewards students whose answers demonstrate incomplete mastery of the material.
You must enable the options to specify partial credit on the Question Settings page to use them for individual questions.
Follow these steps to specify partial credit for Opinion Scale/Likert questions.
- On the Test Canvas page, create or edit an Opinion Scale/Likert question.
- In the Options section, select the Allow Partial Credit check box.
- Type a number in the Partial Credit % text box below each question/answer pair. This number is read as a percent. For example, typing 25 will give the student 25% of the question’s possible points for selecting that answer. Zero is an acceptable value.
- Click Submit.
Related Tutorials Creating a Likert Question (Flash video | 3m 18s)