With Quiz Bowl questions, students are presented with an answer and they must provide the question. The student’s response must be in the form of a question that begins with an interrogative, such as who, what, or where. For example, the statement, "It is the only country that is a continent," requires the answer, "What is Australia?"
Add instructions to the initial statement asking students to respond in the form of a question. Remind students to use a question mark. Incorrect end punctuation results in no credit for the response.
Quiz Bowl questions are graded automatically.
When you create a Quiz Bowl question, you provide:
- The statement to which students must answer with an appropriate question.
- All possible interrogatives the question could begin with—who, what, where, and so on.
- All possible correct answer phrases, including variations in spellings, plurals, and common abbreviations.
By default, when the system scores the question, a correct response contains any one of the interrogatives you added, immediately followed by any one of the phrases you added, including end punctuation.
To award students partial credit for responses including a correct phrase but missing the correct interrogative, enable the Allow Partial Credit option for answers in the test's Question Settings.
- Access a test, survey, or pool. To learn more, see Tests, Surveys, and Pools.
- On the action bar, point to Create Question to access the drop-down list.
- Select Quiz Bowl.
- On the Create/Edit Quiz Bowl Question page, type a statement that students can provide the question to. Optionally, you can use the content editor to format the text and include files, images, web links, multimedia, and mashups.
- Select the Number of Interrogatives from the drop-down list. You can add up to 20 interrogatives.
- If necessary, type or edit the interrogatives. Remove interrogatives using the Remove function to the right of each text box.
- Type the answer phrase. Optionally, select the number of answer phrases if more than one is needed.
- Optionally, provide Feedback or Categories and Keywords. To learn more, see Adding Question Metadata.
- Click Submit.
You can specify partial credit for Quiz Bowl questions. Partial credit rewards students whose answer demonstrates incomplete mastery of the material.
You must enable the options to specify partial credit on the Question Settings page to use them for individual questions.
- On the Test Canvas page, create or edit a Quiz Bowl question.
- In the Options section, select the Allow Partial Credit check box.
- Type a number in the Partial Credit % text box below each question/answer pair. This number is read as a percent. For example, typing 25 will give the student 25% of the question’s possible points for selecting that answer. Zero is an acceptable value.
- Click Submit.
Related Tutorials Creating a Quiz Bowl Question (Flash video | 3m 30s)