Do You Have the Updates?
|Updated Discussions||Discussions Not Updated|
|If your Thread Detail page looks like this, the information on this page applies to you. You have the updated discussion board if you have the Expand All and Collapse All buttons below the thread name.||If your Thread Detail page looks like this, your school has not installed the Discussion Board updates. You do not have the updated discussion board if you do not see the Expand All and Collapse All buttons below the thread name. For information that applies to your system, see Discussion Board.|
Thread Detail Page Updates
The Thread Detail page is thoroughly redesigned yet maintains all of its existing functions. All of a thread's posts are now visible at the same time on one page. Larger avatars help you easily identify the author.
- Expand All and Collapse All manage the visibility of posts on the page. All of the batch actions are still available.
- Functions appear when you point to the page - point your mouse anywhere on the Thread Detail page, and action bar functions such as Search and Refresh appear at the top. When you point to a post, the Reply, Quote, and Expand or Collapse functions appear. This increases the vertical screen space available for viewing posts.
- Click the number of unread posts to see a collection of only the unread posts in the thread.
- Inline replies provide the content editor on the same page, within the context of the discussion. You are not taken to a new page to post a reply.
- Posts made by forum managers and moderators highlight the user’s course role and forum role. If your school has custom roles, they are displayed. Role highlighting is available only in the discussion board; highlighting of discussion board posts within the Bb Stream will be available in a future Learn release.
- New Mark as Read indicator. The icon is blue when the post is unread and white when it has been read. Posts are marked as read as you scroll down the page, after a slight delay. Only posts that are viewed on-screen and expanded are marked as read, so posts are not automatically marked read by quickly scrolling down the page. You can manually change the status of a message by clicking the Mark as Read icon.
- Post dates are displayed as relative dates such as "7 days ago." When you point to the relative date, the absolute date of creation or editing and the number of views displays.
- Overall Rating shows the average rating for a post, if the Rate Posts feature is turned on by your instructor. When you point to the rating area, it changes to show Your Rating.
Forum Descriptions display when you create a thread and when you encounter a thread that your instructor requires you to post before seeing the posts of others. Forum descriptions are often used as prompts for discussion, so they are now visible where you are posting.
Post First Setting - instructors can require you to post to a discussion before seeing other students’ posts. When you encounter forums with the post first setting, a message tells you to create a thread before you can view threads added by others.
To learn about the existing functions that were not updated, see Discussion Board.