All data from the Vista 8 institution must be exported so that the appropriate data can be imported into Blackboard Learn. This process is completed using the System Integration API’s siapi command. The resulting snapshot.xml file will be used in each of the import steps in the upgrade process.
Complete this procedure on the first managed node using the command line on the Vista 8 server.
- Log in to the Vista 8 server with system administrator privileges.
- Create a directory for your migration data using the following command.
- Navigate to the Vista 8 directory using the following command.
cd /BEA directory/weblogic92/config/Vista8 directory
cd \BEA directory\weblogic92\config\Vista8 directory
- Run the command to retrieve the glcId that identifies the institution for which you want to export data.
- Export the Vista 8 data to a snapshot.xml file using the following command.
./siapi.sh ims export snapshot /tmp/migrateToLearn/snapshot.xml --glcId=glcId --username=username --password=password
siapi.cmd ims export snapshot c:\temp\migrateToLearn\snapshot.xml --glcId==glcId --username=username --password=password
- Open the resulting snapshot.xml file using a text editor, scroll to the very bottom of the file, and be sure the last line is </enterprise>. If the file does not end with this line, the JVM on the machine might have run out of memory during the export. Contact Blackboard Client Support.
If the file is larger than 5MB, you may need to use a text editor that can handle large files, such as TextPad.