Using the Provide New License Installer option, administrators can process a new license file to enable or disable Blackboard Learn capabilities. For example, if you are running Blackboard Learn with only course delivery and then your school licenses content management, the process for turning on the Content Collection is to upgrade the license.
If the license file is renamed is renamed bb-license.xml and placed in the same directory as the Installer, the Installer will automatically detect the license file.
When providing a new license, downtime is required. This installation option will perform a full upgrade, shutting down services and removing any currently installed patches.
How to Upgrade the Blackboard Learn License
- Obtain a new license file from Blackboard. To request a current license file, contact your Blackboard client representative.
- Rename the license file bb-license.xml and place it in the same directory as the Installer. Be sure not to confuse the new license file with the old license file.
- Launch the Updater. Windows users may click on the Updater to launch it. UNIX users should run the following command to launch the Updater: /usr/local/bbinstaller/java –jar updater_file -gui
A welcome message appears with a reminder to read the Release Notes for the release that you are installing and installation instructions before updating. Click Next to continue.
- The first page asks for the directory where Blackboard will be found. Click Next to accept the default or enter a new value and then click Next. If Blackboard Learn is not found in the directory provided, the Updater will attempt to install at the given location.
- The next prompt presents several options. The options are Update, Provide new License file, Uninstall Blackboard Learn, and Uninstall appserver. Select Provide new License file and click Next.
- The location of the license file will populate automatically. If it does not, enter the path to the license file. Click Next to continue.
- A message will appear that the license upgrade is ready to proceed. Click Next to start the Updater. Do not close the command line window or any of the other windows that pop-up during the update.