The API is a collection of java classes and objects that move data from the institution systems into Blackboard Learn. Concrete data from the institution systems are encapsulated as java objects. The methods contained in the java classes determine how the data is input into Blackboard Learn. The data input is controlled by persisters that process the appropriate method, convert the object into data that can be input into Blackboard Learn database, and then input that data according to the method called.
Entities and Persisters
There are two main types of objects in the API: entities (objects) and persisters (actions). Entities include the objects that represent data in the system, such as users. Persisters are behind-the-scenes methods that handle the storage of the entities into a persistent store or transient data format.
All data classes have methods to handle persistence actions. The following persistence operations are supported:
- Insert: Inserts a record into the Blackboard Learn database.
- Update: Updates an existing record in the Blackboard Learn database.
- Save: Updates an existing record if it already exists. Otherwise, if it does not exist, inserts the record in the Blackboard Learn database.
- Remove: Purges the record from the Blackboard Learn database.
- Change Key: (Person and Group, Course, and Organization) Changes the primary key. This will automatically update any related Memberships of the changed keys.
How to Create an Object
To create an object in the system, instantiate a corresponding entity, set attributes on the object, and then call a persister method (insert, update, save, delete).
The following Persisters are found in the Event Driven API:
Persist methods include changeKey, insert, remove, save, update, clone. Change key is not relevant for membership type items. Clone is only relevant for Coursesite/Organization. More information about Persist methods can be found in the API specifications.
The following Loaders are found in the Event Driven API:
Load methods include load by batch_uid and load by template. More information about Load methods can be found in the API specifications.
Data Source Loader and Persister
The following Data Source Loader and Persister are found in the Event Driven API: