Navigation and Functions
In Blackboard Learn, navigation and available functions for depend on system role and entity. System administrators and outcomes assessment administrators can access relevant outcomes assessment functions on the Administrator Panel. Administrators also have the ability to access all data, all system roles, and modify all units, workspaces, programs, courses, educational experiences, and sections from the Discover page.
Secure managers, managers, participants, and readers have a different navigational path and limited functions compared to administrators. Users enter their home unit using the Outcomes tab.
System Admin Tab
On the System Admin tab, outcomes assessment administrators and system administrators have access to the Administrator Panel. From here, administrators can add users to the system and manage user roles. Administrators can also access:
- Template Builder: Manage and create attributes for all data collected by forms, manage and configure forms, and define labels and dates for terms.
- Person Records: Add, modify, and remove person records.
- Batch: Add or modify system data by batch process.
- Reporting: Manage the properties, availability, branding, and scheduling of reports.
On the Administrator Panel, the Outcomes tab is managed through the Tabs and Modules link in the Communities section. System administrators can modify the properties of the default Outcomes tab, or they can create a new Outcomes tab by creating a tool tab that uses the outcomes assessment tool.
After the Outcomes tab has been made available, this tab is used to navigate to a home page for users entering the system. Users may change their home page so that they start in a location that is most convenient for them. Only one "place" or unit can be viewed by any user at any given time.
The navigation elements on the Outcomes tab are available to all users with access to the tab. Navigation within the unit is determined by the user’s role in the unit. The Outcomes tab has several navigational elements:
- My Places: Displays all contexts in ascending alphabetical order (units, programs, courses, educational experiences, workspaces) in which the user has a role. The user can click any place in this menu to navigate to the home or list page of that place.
- Explore: Displays all units and sub-units that are public or in which the user has a role. When users select a unit, they can see all of the items under that unit, all sub-units of that unit, and all parents of that unit. Users can navigate up and down the hierarchy freely.
- Discover: Organizes and describes the features and entities of around the functions of planning, measuring, and improving. Users are able to access any entity in the system that is public or in which they have a role.
- Set as My Home Page: Sets the current page as the user’s home page.
- Customize Unit: Users with permission can modify the unit header using the content editor.
- Collaboration Site: Creates a link to one organization through community engagement so that the unit has communication and collaboration tools available. Selecting of an organization does not enroll workspace users in the organization. Enrollment must be established separately so it will not be impacted if this connection is later removed.
- Content Collection: Creates a link to the Content Collection so that documents and other files can be stored in a common folder. Content folders and permissions must be established separately on the Administrator Panel.
- 360º View: Opens a new window that displays all properties, goals, sub-units, programs, courses, educational experiences, and all associated assessments, curriculum tools, and instruments.
- Plan, Measure, Improve menus: Lists all of the entities of that place sorted under the headings of Plan, Measure, and Improve as well as a manage area for users with roles that allow them to add and modify users, properties, settings, and affiliations.