Properties control the functional settings of your course.
- Change Edit Mode to ON.
- On the Control Panel, expand the Customization section and select Properties.
You can change the name and description of your course. This name appears as the displayed course name throughout Blackboard Learn. The description appears in the course catalog.
You can safely ignore these fields. Course classification is not part of or related to course categorization for the course catalog. When you create each course, a default classification value is listed. These fields were used in previous versions of Blackboard Learn but exist now only to ensure backward compatibility with Building Blocks or other plug-ins.
You can set courses to be available or unavailable. If the course is available, all users participating in the course have access. If the course is unavailable, access is determined by course role. Instructors, course builders, teaching assistants (TAs), and graders can see and access unavailable courses from My Courses and the course list, but they are marked as unavailable. Students cannot access unavailable courses regardless of the course duration. Unavailable courses do not appear in the course catalog.
Course duration defines the time in which students may interact with a course.
- Continuous: The course is always available.
- Select Dates: The course is available according to specific dates. Courses may have a start date, but no end date. The start and end times are set automatically. The start time is midnight and the end time is 11:59:59. After the end date, courses are not available to students, but are otherwise unchanged.
- Days from the Date of Enrollment: Use this option to place a time limit on courses calculated from the date a student enrolls. This is the best option for self-paced courses.
If your institution has associated a term with a course—for example, Spring 2013 Semester or Winter Session 2013—you can set a course to use these preset dates.
When a term is available for a course, additional options appear with Set Availability and Set Course Duration.
- Use Term Availability: The course is available during the term dates, but unavailable before and after. The name of the term is listed.
- Use Term Duration: The course runs for the entire duration of the term, beginning on the first date of the term and ending on the last. The actual dates are listed for the associated term.
The course catalog lists the courses that are offered through the system and is made available to users by your institution. The categories in the course catalog are also created and maintained by your institution. You can add your course to one or more categories. Courses added to a category are listed in the course catalog under that category.
Select a catalog category and use the arrow functions to move the category to the Selected Items box. You can select more than one category. Repeat the process to add another category. The course appears under the selected categories. Invert Selection selects categories that are not selected and clears categories that are selected. Use this to exclude one or two categories without having to click all the other categories.
Language packs change the language of buttons, titles, and other text supplied by the system. Language pack preferences are defined at the system, course, and user level.
At the system level, your institution defines one language pack as the system default. This is the language pack that appears when no other language pack is specified at the course level or at the user level.
At the course level, you can set a language pack that is different from the default to make all users in a course view the same language pack. For example, one reason to enforce a specific language pack is in a course designed to teach that language.
If the language pack is not enforced, users can set a preferred language pack that is different from the course language pack by changing the setting in the drop-down list accessed from next to your name in the page header: Settings > Change Personal Settings > Set Language Pack. Enforcing the language pack overrides individual users' language choices.
Customized names for content areas and tools are not changed with the language pack. These values stay the same for all language packs. The default names in the system are translated and appear differently in each language pack.
To learn more, see Language Packs.
The following properties are available only if your institution licenses content management.
- Course Files Default Directory: Type or browse for the directory to contain the course files for this course. This is the default location where files are saved for the course and does not conflict with the Content Collection Home Page setting.
- Display: Each item in the Content Collection has a contextual menu that provides access to the available actions. When working in the course files area on the Control Panel, the selected option configures the menu to display all of the Content Collection options that are available when working on the Content Collection tab or only the course-specific options.