You can use the tasks tool to organize projects or activities—referred to as tasks—by defining task priority and tracking task status. As an instructor, you add tasks to your course. You can allow students to manage their tasks using the My Tasks module or from a tool link in your course. To learn more about adding the My Tasks module to a course, see How to Create a Module Page.
If you want to ensure an activity or assignment is completed by a certain date, consider using the assignments tool and the calendar instead of a task.
You can create tasks and post them to the course Tasks page. Each user can post personal tasks to their own task pages. Task information is arranged in columns that display the priority, task name, status, and due date.
Tasks are also available as a course group tool for tasks that are specific to a smaller group within your course.
The To Do notification module that appears in a course displays course relevant information only. To learn more, see About the Notifications Dashboard.
Watch a Tutorial
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
By default, tasks are listed from highest priority to lowest and not by date. To view tasks listed by due date, click the Due Date heading. Use the status columns to view how many students have reported their progress or completed a task.
How to Create, Edit, or Delete a Course Task
- On the course menu, click Tools. On the Tools page, select Tasks.
-OR-On the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and select Tasks.
- On the Tasks page, click Create Course Task on the action bar.
- On the Create Course Task page, type a Task Name.
- Type a Description. You can use the content editor functions to format the text and include files, images, web links, multimedia, and mashups.
- Type a Due Date or use the Date Selection Calendar to select the date.
- Select the level of priority of your task from the Priority drop-down list. You can assign a priority of Low, Normal, or High.
- Click Submit.
- The task appears on the Tasks page. Access the task's contextual menu to edit or delete the task.
How to View Task Progress
- Access the Tasks page.
- Click a task title to access the View Task page. The View Task page displays all students' progress for that task.
How to Add a Tasks Link to the Course Menu
If you want students to access the tasks tool often, you can add a link to the course menu for one-click access to the tool. You can customize the name of the link.
- Change Edit Mode to ON and point to the plus sign above the course menu. The Add Menu Item drop-down list appears.
- Select Tool Link.
- Type a Name for the link.
- From the Type drop-down list, select Tasks.
- Select the Available to Users check box.
- Click Submit.
The new tool link appears last in the course menu list. Press and drag the arrows icon to move the link into a new position. Access the link's contextual menu to rename, delete, or hide the link from students.
Creating a Course Task (Flash movie | 1m 55s)