Ordering questions require students to provide an answer by selecting the correct order of a series of items. For example, you can give students a list of historical events and ask them to place these events in chronological order.
Students are granted partial credit for ordering questions if they answer part of the question correctly. For example, if the question is worth eight points and the student gives the correct order for half of the items, they will receive four points.
When you create an Ordering question, you add the answers in the correct order and later set the order that they display to students.
- Access a test, survey, or pool. To learn more, see Tests, Surveys, and Pools.
- On the action bar, point to Create Question to access the drop-down list.
- Select Ordering.
- Type the Question Text. Optionally, you can use the content editor to format the text and include files, images, web links, multimedia, and mashups.
- The default number of answers is 4. If you want to increase this, select the Number of Answers from the drop-down list. To reduce the number of answers, click Remove to the right of one or more answer boxes to delete them. An ordering question cannot have fewer than 2 answers, or more than 100.
- Type an Answer in each field.
- Click Next.
- Drag and drop the answers in the Display Order column to determine how they appear.
- Optionally, type feedback for correct and incorrect answers.
- Click Submit and Create Another -OR- Submit to add the question to the test.
You can specify partial credit for Ordering questions, giving a portion of the question’s possible points to students whose order of answers is partially correct.
You must enable the options to specify partial or negative credit on the Question Settings page to use them for individual questions.
Use the following steps to specify partial credit for Ordering questions.
- On the Test Canvas page, create or edit an Ordering question.
- In the Options section, select the Allow Partial Credit check box. The amount of partial credit is assigned automatically, depending on the question’s possible points and the number of answers.
- Click Submit.
Related Tutorials Creating an Ordering Question (Flash video | 3m 12s)