The Send Email tool in a course is a send-only tool. You can send messages from your course to course members' external email accounts without having to launch your external email program, such as Gmail or Yahoo. You can send emails to individual users or to groups of users.
Watch a Tutorial
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
Email you send from a course is received in the recipient's external email account, such as BobSmith@yahoo.com. Replies to these email messages go to the sender's external email account and are not sent to the course.
When you log in to your external email account, you receive both personal and course-related messages. Consider setting up a filter or message rule to easily group your course email into a single folder in your inbox.
Blackboard Learn keeps no record of sent or received emails. When you receive or send an email, the email will appear in the Inbox of your external email client. Keep a copy of important messages in case you need them at a later date.
Your instructor and institution control which tools are available. If this tool is not available, your instructor or institution may have disabled it.
You can send email to the following people in a course:
- All Users: Sends email to all users in the course.
- All Groups: Sends email to all of the groups in a specified course.
- All Teaching Assistant Users: Sends email to all of the Teaching Assistants in a specified course.
- All Student Users: Sends an email to all students in the course.
- All Instructor Users: Sends email to all of the instructors for a specified course.
- Select Users: Sends email to select users.
- Select Groups: Sends email to select groups.
Recipients of each email will not see the email addresses of other recipients.
Before You Begin
- Blackboard Learn will NOT recognize files or email addresses with spaces or special characters, such as #, &, %, and $. In general, use only alphanumeric file names and addresses in Blackboard Learn.
- Do not send email through Blackboard Learn without content in the subject line. Leaving the subject line blank can prevent the message from being delivered.
How to Send Email
You can access the email tool for all of your courses through the Tools panel on the My Institution tab. Your instructor can also add a link to the email tool directly to the course menu.
- On the course menu, click Tools.
- On the Tools page, click Send Email.
- On the Select Users or Select Groups page, select the recipients in the Available to Select box and click the right-pointing arrow to move them into the Selected box. A back arrow is available to move a user out of the recipient list. Click Invert Selection and the selected users are no longer highlighted and those users that were not selected will be highlighted.
For Windows, to select multiple users in a list, press the SHIFT key and click the first and last users. To select users out of sequence, press the CTRL key and click each user needed. For Macs, use the COMMAND key instead of the CTRL key. You can also use the Select All function to send an email to all users.
- Type your Subject.
- Type your Message. A copy of the message is sent to the sender. A receipt page appears after the message is sent listing all recipients. The receipt page does not confirm that users received the message. It only confirms that the message was sent.
- Click Attach a File to browse for files from your computer. You can attach multiple files. After you add one file, the option to attach another file appears.
- Click Submit.
- Your email address is not visible unless you choose to make it visible to course members. Find this setting in the page header in the My Blackboard menu > Settings > Personal Information > Set Privacy Options. On this page, you can choose the information you want course members to see.
- You can change your external email address used in your courses. In the My Blackboard menu > Settings > Personal Information > Edit Personal Information. On this page, type your preferred email address and click Submit.
- Email clients, such as Gmail or Yahoo, may identify email from Blackboard Learn as junk mail and either automatically delete the email or move it to a junk mail folder. If you have problems, check your user preferences or options for settings regarding the handling of junk email.