Instructors create course wikis. Any course member can create pages, unless you intend to be the sole author and use the wiki as course content. Groups can also use wikis. To learn more, see Course Groups and Tools.
Watch a Tutorial
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
How to Create a Wiki Topic
- Change Edit Mode to ON.
- On the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and click Wikis.
- On the Wikis listing page, click Create Wiki on the action bar.
- On the Create Wiki page, type a name and optional instructions. Make the wiki available.
- Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Display restrictions do not affect the wiki availability, only when it appears.
- Choose the Student Access option. You can change the student access at any time.
- Closed to Editing: Select this option when you are the only one contributing pages or to disallow further page editing by users when you are ready to start grading the wikis contributions. All course members are allowed to view wikis that are closed to editing.
- Open to Editing: Allows users to modify any wiki page. In a group wiki, a user must be a member of the group to edit a wiki page.
- In the Wiki Settings section, make a grading selection. If you select Grade: Points possible, type a grade to make the wiki a graded item. After you enable grading, a column is created automatically in the Grade Center. It is permanently gradable, and you cannot change it to No grading.
- Optionally, select the check box and the number of page saves required to show participants in needs grading status. Applying this setting will show the needs grading icon—the exclamation mark—in the Grade Center and place the entries in the queue on the Needs Grading page after the specified number of page saves have been made.
If you choose three page saves from the drop-down list and a user submits two, the in progress icon appears in the Grade Center cell and within the tool until the specified number is met.
- Optionally, associate a rubric by pointing to Add Rubric. To learn more, see Rubrics.
- Click Submit.
About the Wikis Listing Page
The wiki topics appear in alphabetical order on the Wikis listing page. You can sort columns by clicking the column title.
- On the Wikis listing page, click the title to access a wiki -OR- access a wiki's contextual menu and click Open.
- To change a wiki's availability or student access, select one or more check boxes and use the Availability and Student Access drop-down lists on the action bar.
- The Type column lists whether a wiki is for the course or for a group.
- Access a wiki's contextual menu and click Edit Properties to change a wiki's name, instructions, and settings.